The Great Topsy-Turvy Mystery Revisited

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

They were at that LOL.

We always look for hanging baskets and old planters at garage sales and have found some really neat stuff. Lady Lizard got three large metal hanging baskets for a couple of dollars at one and kept her SB’s in them for years.

With all this talk of SB’s I may have to get some more baskets going. They would fit in nicely with the grapes, blackberries and blueberries. Now I’m getting hungry.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

:-) I haunt thrift stores regularly for my needs & wants but haven't run across many planters.

To tell the truth I am thinking it may end up to be strawberries (although I want to try at least one run of lettuces) in the guttering that is going to serve as a filter for my small pond!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I got one of those TT SB planters too. Did good for a while but I think I had it too deep in the shade. Almost dead now. I wonder if I could grow SBs in a bale of hay?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Cajun ~ last summer when we went north to visit friends and family, a friend had strawberry plants growing in a bale of straw. I will have to ask her how it did.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have grown other things in bales planted in the tops of the bales. I was wondering if you could plant the tops and sides of the bale just like the TT thing. I may give it a try.

I emailed her and she said they had a dry summer. She found the bales dried out too quickly and I guess the strawberries didn't get established well. Did you find the hay bales needed more water too?

I emailed her and she said they had a dry summer. She found the bales dried out too quickly and I guess the strawberries didn't get established well. Did you find the hay bales needed more water too?

By the way, I think you had asked about my planting those fall tomatoes in potting soil bags. I have been eating them for a bit now. Right now, we are at freezing and it will dip more before dawn so this may be the end of them but I will plant in potting soil bags again. It was very convenient. I have another one I am starting radishes in for a winter crop right now.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How did you stake them in the bags?

I soaked my bales every 3 days. Things grow like crazy in the bales. I see some folks who have taken their fall outdoor decorations apart. Going to stop and see if I can haul off the straw bales for them.

I used a scrap piece of a cattle panel and drove two T posts in the ground to attach it to with zip ties. I set the bags of soil next to the panel and just wove and tied the plants as they grew.

I'd just about bet they will donate the bales if you ask.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm hoping so since I only got one SFG bed made.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.