Pruning

Chico, CA

I'm so confused. Do I prune my Hydrangea now, when the last bloom fades, or wait for spring?

I never really PRUNE ny hydrangeas; I like their natural habit. But I DO cut off all my blooms to dry after they bloom. I let the blooms stay on until the outside-most florets get a dry, not-yet-brown look, & then cut them about 2" below the flower cluster. (I hang these to dry for arrangements). I see no advantage in pruning hydrangeas; I don't think it promotes added blooming or bushiness. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pruning encourages more growth' However,many future blooms can be cut off if you're not sure how to prune properly'

I also like their natural habit just hope to get one big enough to enjoy them,lol' Still trying after many years and the weather doesn't help most of the time'

LWruth,there's so much great info here and recall seeing many links to help' It will take a little research but know you'll find the answer here' See ya Sis'

Cordova, MD

I agree with Lindap- I don;t really prune- I've also heard that it prevents a lot of flowers the following year. Sometimes I re-shape a little. and I also take off many of the dead blooms to dry.
-JSS

Watched a garden program with a lady that was growing acres of hydrangeas' I was surprised when she stated that they needed to be made into trees. She said it was too much work constantly propping up the heavy limbs' Every variety she grows is shaped into a tree,just beautiful' I can only hope for such great results in getting one up to blooming stage,lol' Sis'

Gilmer, TX

When I got my oakleaf hydranga, they said not to prune it as next years flowers came on the old wood. The wood is beautiful after it peels, sort of a cinnimon color. Pam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.