Wild hydrangea???

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Went roaming on some property that is to be cleared of forest for development. In a back canyon I found what looks like a couple of small hydrangea looking bushes. One had dried flower heads that looked just like dried hydrangea flowers. Anyway property owner says I can remove anything that I find on the property before it gets bulldozed, so I took two of the bushes home. Will see what they turn out to be. No one has every lived on this property. Its just forest with a stream.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Congratulations on the new acquisitions. And the price was just right!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks! The more I get around and see hydrangea I'm sure that what I found was hydranges growing wild. How they got there is anybodies guess. Its just woodland and never been used for anything. So far it looks like the two small bushes are surviving the transplant so I see what happens with them.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The wild hydrangea resembles Hydrangea arborescens and has some small lacecap-like blooms. It can grow as tall as 10 feet but I would guess most of them aren't, maybe reaching 3-5 feet tall? You can find them growing in the shade from New York all the way south to parts of Georgia and, I am told, Florida. If yours suckers, and some do, you may get additional plants... for that very good price you paid. The bush usually is not quite tidy & upright-looking plant so I was wondering, how did this one compare?

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

The bushes were small about 3 feet tall and growing in almost full shade. I've planted it here were it will get sun in the mornings and during the heat of the afternoon shade. I took pictures of it, but until I get the camera over to the geeks house and he downloads the pictures I can't post at this time.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Marti - Lucky you.... I hope you find more treasures! 3 feet tall is a good size for finding them growing wild. But at the same time I'm sad to think though that a beautiful forest is being bulldozed for development. I guess that area is starting to boom there now too. My family used to go to Lake Cumberland on houseboats for vacation for years - the days when no one knew about it.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

There's more stuff there and I'm planning another trip to see what else I can get. I just love prowling thru the bushes looking at whats there. I'm going try and save some more of the wild hydrangeas.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Sound like fun! How much property is there to look through?

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Almost 15 acres. I have until July to clean out what I want. So will have to get with it.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

OK, NOW I'm ready for some trading!!!! If you find any more, I want one. Luis is correct, there are native wild hydrangeas here in KY, Hydrangea arborescens. Great find.

Doug

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Yes, I found some more. So far the two I got before and planted are doing fine. I will be out there again soon and will get you what I can. I can't ship till next week when I get my check. I will try to send you the best I have found.

Marti

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures! When we bought our property years ago, it was filled with wild hydrangeas everywhere you looked. We still have a fair amount in our side yard and a few in the back, they are really beautiful when in bloom. Can't wait to hear what other treasures you might find!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.