CLOSED: Red Texas Star Hibiscus offered for SAEs or trade

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry . . .
          CLOSED until new seeds harvested in late summer 2010 . . .

Red Texas Star Hibiscus -aka- Swamp Hibiscus, Scarlet Rose Mallow, Scarlet Hibiscus

Hibiscus coccineus - - Synonym:  Hibiscus semilobatus

DG info for this plant:  http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1872/ . . . lots of pretty pictures there, too.

What I need from you:

A self-addressed business-size envelope (SAE) or a self-addressed bubble envelope (SABE) enclosed with 74¢ in LOOSE U.S. postage stamps.  Please note on the lower left corner of the outer envelope:  "TX Star".

My postal addy == >   http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/view.php?user=LazLo

If you can't see the DG address exchange, send a DMail for my postal info,
using this link == >   http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pmail.php?q=LazLo   and request my postal mailing address.

These seeds are super easy to germinate using the "baggie" method.  They can also be very successfully started when sown ¼ in. deep in moist potting soil that has been mixed with a dash of ground cinnamon (a natural anti-fungal agent) to help prevent "damp off".  I experience germination in soil within 3-5 days during times when the temperature is at least 75ºF.

A T B T Y !       ~       £az£o     ;--)

This message was edited Jun 24, 2010 12:14 AM

Thumbnail by LazLo
Roswell, NM

I'll be sending you an envelope--interested. Thank you!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

You guys, I grew his seed last year all winter I have had huge beautiful red blooms in the middle of winter in my basement nursery. They are really great seeds! Now I have plants outside.. even better!
Thanks, Lazlo!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

you're welcome, Debra

Roswell, NM

So when I do get these seeds, should I start them outside where they'll actually be growing, or would they do better if I started them in a pot and put them out when they get a little bigger?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Moriah -

Quoting:

These seeds are super easy to germinate using the "baggie" method. They can also be very successfully started when sown ¼ in. deep in moist potting soil that has been mixed with a dash of ground cinnamon (a natural anti-fungal agent) to help prevent "damp off". I experience germination in soil within 3-5 days during times when the temperature is at least 75ºF.

Cherry Valley, IL(Zone 5a)

Unfortunately I don't think I'll like the answer to this, but any chance these will survive in my zone?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

two ways - - grow them in large containers to support their rooting needs and bring them indoors for the winter. the other, roll the dice and grow in-ground, cutting down to ground when temps are consistantly under 40 degrees and mulch heavily.

i send you enough seeds that you can give both methods a go.

Cherry Valley, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds good - it's worth a try!

Will send sabe today.

Thanks!

Ashley, IL

Would love to have some texas star hibiscus seed for SABE. Will d-mail you for address. Thanks Ina

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

CLOSED until new seeds harvested in late summer 2010 . . .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.