where to order irises

Lake Charles, LA

Need advice on where to order new irises for fall planting? Angela

Bakersfield, CA

Many choices! Mid-America Garden, Napa Country Iris Garden, Snowpeak Iris, Rockytop Gardens, Stanton Iris Gardens, Sutton's Iris Gardens, Schreiner's Iris Gardens, Cooley's Gardens, Stout Iris Gardens, Iris4U, Blue J Iris, and International Iris (I'm sure I'm forgetting some!) all have websites. Superstition Iris Gardens does not have a website but they have their pictures online through Webshots. And if you want to deal directly with some of the other hybridizers you can contact Keith Keppel or Joe Ghio. I'm sure someone closer to your area can let you know of nurseries/gardens in your area. If you need any website or email addresses let us know.

Bakersfield, CA

Oh yes, I guess I should have stated that I only know about bearded iris. But there are others here who have and know about the beardless irises. I believe PollyK can help you there.

Lake Charles, LA

Thank you very much. Bearded irises are the ones I'm interested in. Now the hard part is choising between them all. Thanks again.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.louisianas.org/
Your location would be wonderful for growing the Louisiana Iris. Many of these commercial growers the have been listed have a Louisiana iris section.

Beaded iris do not like to have wet "feet" for long so you may want to research the use of raised beds to accomodate their growth in your area. Also there are some named bearded iris that do better in warm humid areas and the experienced growers in this forum can probably give you their successful iris suggestions.
Good Luck,
Peg

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Wild Iris Rows is also a nice company to deal with along with all the list above;) They are located in Tennessee which helps me to find TB's that do well in the southeast. Very helpful owner, Greg, as well.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

You might need to take out a loan at your bank for some of the rare Iris bulbs! LOL!

Lake Charles, LA

I know, lol. I already need to float a loan for all the other plants I've bought this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.