Does anyone grow Lisianthus?

Lake Charles, LA

I want to try growing lisianthus, and was wondering if anyone out there grows it. I need advice for this one. Thanks, Angela

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I had some at my old house--what sort of advice did you need?

Lake Charles, LA

What type of conditions do they like, and what types are the best to grow?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I had mine in an area that got morning sun but afternoon shade and they did fine there. They may do fine with more sun than that too but I only had them in that one area of the garden so I couldn't say for sure. They were average on watering--not drought tolerant but not water hogs either. The ones I had were both cultivars of Eustoma grandiflorum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=eustoma&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=grandiflorum&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search That's the only type I've ever seen at garden centers here so I guess that's most likely what you'd find in your area too. The cultivars aren't any better/worse than each other--some of them are taller and shorter, some are single flowers & some are double, and they come in different colors, so pick the ones you like the look of and that grow to the height you want.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

It's interesting, they're so lovely, but I haven't seen them for sale since I left Arizona. I didn't know they were perennial.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

In your zone they wouldn't be--I think they're only hardy to about zone 8.

Oh, now that's just not right ... sniff.

Lake Charles, LA

I haven't seen any for sell around here, but park seeds has some gorgeous double seeds. I am trying to get hubby to start on building me a greenhouse so that I can start seeds in the fall, as it takes about 6 months for them to bloom. I think I have a great place for them. Thanks, for the info--can't wait to try them out. They are gorgeous.

Good luck, they sure are!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I am in zone 9, and the few times that I have planted lisianthus, they did not come back for me. Not sure if it was hardiness, or so other problems. But, I stopped planting them. They are pretty, but the lazy gardener in me prefer mostly perennials or self-sowing annuals so that I don't have to replenish the garden much.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

At my old house (which was slightly north of here and in zone 9b instead of 9a) they did survive the winter. I haven't tried them where I am now.

Lake Charles, LA

Oh good. I so hope they will like it here. Wish I could find seeds for trade or postage.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I have mine in full sun. We had one of the coldest winters, yet my lisanthus has returned and is looking good; I'm just waiting on blooms now. This is the 3rd year they have returned. I am in zone 9B.

Lake Charles, LA

Do you save seeds from them?

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I never have noticed any seeds on them. Anyway collect seeds and can tell me what to look for?

Lake Charles, LA

I'm going to research this and get back to you. Angela

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

From the emails above, they should overwinter OK in my zone. Guess I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I'll give them another try one of these days.

If I remember correctly, Lisianthus from seed take quite a while to get to bloom size.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've tried them a couple times. They look so luscious at the nursery.
But just a week or two of our humid summers, they completely wilt.
I mean totally. I gave up on them completely.

Lake Charles, LA

I think they have to be kept moist, but not soggy.

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

I've seen the dark purple lisianthus growing wild in pastures and roadside in zone 8B Texas. They don't come out every year, but often. The pastures get no grazing, and really no care at all. It's a beautiful sight, and if it weren't for the barbed wire, I'd be out there gathering bouquets! Provided I can find one growing outside the fence this year, how well do you think they'd transplant?

Lake Charles, LA

Don't know, but it may be worth a try. Our temps are already in the 90's here. If you could do it on an overcast or rainy day it would be better.
If nothing else do you think you could get some seeds later?

I've done them in a pot and spot them where they get some shade and they did pretty well. I did try to overwinter the plants in the greenhouse but they were full of aphids (which I didn't see when they were outside).
How amazing - wild Lisianthus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.