Lime heuchera advice needed

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

My order of Lime Rickey is cancelled due to crop failure. I wanted a chartreuse color for a border w good sun. The grower, Garden Harvest Supply, does have Electric Lime, Citronelle, and Caramel (not so lime-ish) . Would you recommend any of those? I had been told that Lime Rickey does well, don't know about the others. I have the Japanese Forest Grass, Aureola Hakonechloa, on order too, to plant in same border. Many thanks! Tamar, gardening in Norwalk, CT

Lake Stevens, WA

Tam
This is my experience with the lime green heuchera:
1) I think you are right by getting Lime Rickey. It has been the best of the ones I have grown. You should find that most any place, as it is an older hybrid. In my area Lime Rickey can be found in 4 inch for about $4-$5. However, in my opinion the lime green ones like more shade (filterd sun) and not full sun. You may want to experiment with one to see what happens. I live in western Washington so even our full sun is not like other parts of the country.

I have Citronelle, Lemon chiffon( this has some red veining in winter),Key lime pie, and Lime Marmalade(New to me in fall and had in cool green house over winter) as well as Lime Rickey. Both Lime Marmalade and Electric Lime are new so no opinion on those.

I don't think Citronelle is a that good. It is more yellow that lime green and mine always has brown leaves. Caramel is not lime green, more of a peach brown. If you want Lime green no Caramel.

Hope this helps and i'm sure you will get different answers.
Heuchera are very easy to propagate so don't buy a bunch of one kind. In a few years you will have babies to give to your friends or add to your garden.

Lake Stevens, WA

Added thought. I have 'Pistache' as well. Not much of a performer for me.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I've had a Lime Rickey for about 4 years and divided it in 3 last year. You are welcome to have one. You can come for it, or I can bring it to you. I'm in the Newfield section of Stamford. Just Dmail me.

The photo is not too clear, a it is in with another, dark red heuchera. The other Lime Rickey is by itself. The flowers are coral, which is typical of LIme Rickey.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

Springcolor--thank you, I really appreciate this information. I'll cancel my order, rather than sub --I just saw Electric Lime is for full shade. Cathy, thank you!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My Citronelle only gets morning sun and not that much of it but remains lovely all year long.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lake Stevens, WA

Pirl
That is so nice. You have lots of beautiful heuchera! I have mine in morning sun put it never looks that good. It has not died yet so I guess that is good. I will be moving it to more shade soon.

Thanks. It would be nice if the plant tags said how much sun the heuchera in the pot we're buying could take. Just saying, "Maximum of three hours of morning or afternoon sun" would be a huge help.

I've found Palace Purple and Chocolate Ruffles can take the most sun in my gardens.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

pirl - that is one beautiful shade garden and that Citronelle really stands out. Mine's more yellow but gets more sun than yours.

I probably like Pistache the best followed by Key Lime Pie. I also really like Tiramisu but that one can go yellow too.

Funny, I can't tell tell you how many Lime Rickey's have bit the dust for me. I gave up on it.

It's the only family of plants I'm aware of that has such problems for so many people. I can't get 'Snow Angel' to live, no less "thrive". Each heuchera seems to have distinct likes and dislikes.

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

Pirl, your garden is lovely. Cathy166, thank you so much for your generous gift of lime rickey (and more!)--it is planted and looking happy. I've been so spoiled with my easy plum-bronze colored heuchera, I had no idea the species was quite so finicky. I hope my part shade is part shade enough.It's really more part sun than part shade! So far so good.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Pirl - I have 2 Snow Angel left from this winter. I don't think they are as hardy perhaps - mine are well-sited & the other heuchs are fine with the location (am sun), but Snow Angel is still tiny. Perhaps they like warmer weather?
I had not seen Citronelle before - very nice.
I had heard that Key Lime does not perform as well as Lime Rickey. All this is probably dependant on region.
I have Tiramisu - mine is very well-coloured. Miracle on the other hand looked very washed-out, sort of blah.
Springcolor, you are north of me - how are the heuchs faring for you so far?
Kate =:0)

What exposure did you have Miracle growing in that it was washed out? I keep testing how much sun each spot gets and it will have either too much or too little. I don't like "crispy".

'Snow Angel' grew smaller and smaller each year. It is now invisible and part of the good earth. It hated full sun, hated dappled shade and hated full shade. Three strikes and I won't try again.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Morning sun. Yes - never the right amount of sun. I even pruned up a Rhody to give it a bit more. Aargggh.
Snow angel is 3 yrs at my place. Obsidian is almost 1. Obsidian is bigger than S.A. - go figure.
I only have one more spot I can try - all day bright light, but no direct sun - oh maybe for 2 hours early morning. But, it's a spot closer to the house - maybe it really is a Heuch for warmer climates?

I hear you on the 3 strikes...I'll show them the scorecard. Maybe they'll pay better attention!
Or maybe I need to send them to California.

Obsidian has performed extremely well for me since I first bought it and planted it (never moved it) in 2006. Early morning sun is all it gets and no regular watering.

Thumbnail by pirl
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

pirl - How gorgeous in between all the chartreause - I just love the color and shine to Obsidian.

I've found that Key Lime Pie does much better for me than the Lime Rickey. I'm not very fond of Citronelle here. I trimmed her all up and had her looking nice and all she's doing is getting brown spots on her leaves - again. She's in the same amount of sun as all the others but is just not happy. She's also very yellow. I guess I'll move her to a shadier area and see what happens.

Here's my Key Lime Pie - she's getting a little yellowed too. I wonder if it's warm sunny days and cool damp nights?

Thumbnail by medinac
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Tamar, the bronze seems to be happy wherever it is.

I notice that some plants exist and are OK, but when you move them to a location where they are happy, they really perform.

Your Key Lime Pie is magnificent, medinac!

When I began collecting heuchera I didn't know they were so fussy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.