What kind of snake did I catch? :)

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

I heard a clicking noise & saw that my cat was interested in something. Now, I've heard beatles click like that when being tortured by my cats, so when I went over there I was fully expecting to see one of those big clicking beatles. But uh oh! It was a snake! Took me a good half hour to get it in the bucket... Then found out it could get out of the bucket, so hurried to find something to put over it.

I got a few pictures & put her right back where I found her. During the whole time I was trying to capture her, she never, not once, offered to try to strike me. Only tried to get away.

Sorry the picture is not very good. Batteries ran out in my camera & had to take pictures with my phone & a flash light.

Anyone know what kind of snake she is?

Thank you,

ants

Thumbnail by antsinmypants
Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Another picture.

ants

Thumbnail by antsinmypants
Sandusky, OH

Definitely a pit viper .Could be a Copperhead but not 100% on that. At any rate use extreme caution!!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=copperhead&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Looks like a copperhead to me, too.

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Definitely copperhead.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/watchable-wildlife/what/reptiles/Snakes/c.cfm

Beautiful snakes but dangerous!

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Well, I guess I know what a copperhead looks like now :) Thanks :)

ants

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Absolutely a copperhead. They are especially attracted to rats and mice (like most snakes). I had a problem with them when my bird feeders were attracting mice which in turn brought the copperheads. To this day, I am very careful where I step in the garden.

They are definitely venomous. Be particularly careful where you put your hands and feet because, unfortunately, copperheads are more inclined to freeze and stay put rather than try to run away (as many snakes will do). This behavior increases the likelihood that you may be struck by one if you, for instance, stick your hands into a large squash plant and the snake is in there. Just be careful to look 1st before sticking your hands into foliage and before walking in tall grass and such, and don't assume (as I was taught growing up) that the snake will high tail it out of the area if it sees you.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Boy you were really lucky...whew!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Whew! You really were lucky! I didn't read the 1st post on my original visit. From what I've read, copperheads are known to be relatively quick to strike although apparently more likely than other venomous snakes to give a dry bite (little to no venom).

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

The heart-shaped head is a red flag. This is rattlesnake country and they also have the heart-shaped head. That is what I tell my kids to watch for instead of the tail. I've run into too many rattlesnakes that have lost the tip of their tail and rattle, so absence of a rattle doesn't mean absence of a rattlesnake.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Your'e right. I didn't even have to enlarge the photo to know it was a venemous snake. The one exception to that is the Coral Snake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_snake

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

antsinmypants - you should have went straightaway and bought a lottery ticket, because you are one lucky person.

Hack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.