Favorite nursery for new/different plants

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone,
I'm a lurker here for the most part but I love to read all your ideas and thoughts on gardening. Perhaps this has been covered in the past but I'd really like to know your favorite places to shop for new and different plants. I love to look at newplaces to see the different types of things they have and I'm ready to expand outside the Hamilton/Middletown/northern Cincy area :) Are they any cool places that you might be able to suggest between Columbus and Lexington?
Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

Di - who loves Bern's Nursery outside of Middletown

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Good question! janaestone!

I'd like to hear what others have to say too.

Two of my favorites that come to mind are Greenfield Plant Farm near Morrow (?) ohio (although I liked it better two or three years ago~~I think they have changed their product mix and cut back on many hard to find varieties~~more petunias now.)

And Marvin's Organic Gardens.

Here is a plant source that I have just heard of but I don't know anything about it~~"The Propagation House" at 7111 Beechmont Ave, Cincinnati. (Ric~~it looks like it's across from Guardian Angels Cemetery). If anyone knows anything about that one, I'd like to hear about it.

Another interesting place in Benkens over by Spring Grove Cemetery. I go there after Thanksgiving for holiday plants~~cyclamen, pointsettias, etc. Very good for that.

Anybody else??!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

A little north and east of Columbus is one of the best places for perennials in the state. Was just there today to get heirloom tomatoes (big selection if you get there soon!) They are known all over. Chris Baker has a ton of coleus that he breeds. They have a huge selection of perennials.

Baker's Acres
http://www.bakersacresgreenhouse.com/

If you visit, combine it with a visit to Dawe's Arboretum. Fantastic place.

Now that the "Search" feature is working here, you can do a search for Baker's Acres !!! Yeah for getting the search working!!!!

This message was edited May 1, 2010 8:08 PM

I love Bakers' Acres, too. A really wide variety of hard to find perennials. And I think Chris Baker posts on DG once in a while, too.

Yesterday we went down to 'Findlay Market' in the 'Over the Rhine' neighborhood here in Cincinnati and surprisingly there were a number of vendors there selling flower and vegetable starts for gardeners. (I bought some hard to find salvias (for $3 each), some herbs and 3 gartenmeister fucshias for the hummingbirds.) Also an Orchid Vendor, and Heirloom tomato plant and a house plant vendor or two. The prices were very very reasonable.

Columbus, OH

If any of you come up (or over, or down) for Baker's Acres, call me...we can do lunch! It's one of my favorites.

I'm going to Glasshouse Works and Companion Plants either this Saturday or next...depends on what time they can deliver my new patio furniture. Anyone know of anything else cool and close by?

Celene, when I get up to Baker's Acres I will let you know!

I googled for Athens Ohio nurseries and Five Springs Farm came up and looks interesting for native plants: http://www.bamboofarm.com/catalog/natives.html

And Hoot Hollow Farm but there isn't much info on them: http://www.athensohio.com/whattodo/index.php?page=190

I wish I could go on a road trip to Glasshouse Works with you! t.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Skip Hoot Owl Hollow. Trust me.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Celene,
I just glanced at the website for Baker's Acres and will definitely be up there soon. I'll send notice when I'll be going. I love perennials and am always on the lookout for new and different ones.

Tobasco,
I forgot all about Marvin's in Lebanon. I used to go there for organics a while back - may try there again next week. I had no idea that Findlay Market had plant vendors there; it's been years since I've been there but I might make a trip down on Friday to check it out.

Anyone else?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Janaestone, if you let me know, I'll meet up with you also! I only live about 5 miles from Baker's.

Columbus, OH

Maybe we could do a little meet-up and lunch?

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone, I'm familiar mostly with Cleveland region but my absolute favorite is Mulberry Creek Herb Farm:
http://www.mulberrycreek.com/
Not only they grow organic plants but specialize in rare miniatures, herbs and my favorite succulents. Their prices are quite affordable too. In June they usually have a herb fair where you can get all the plants you like and have lots of fun!

I would love to visit Mulberry Creek Herb Farm. I have seen their website and they have a huge array of herbs, don't they?

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh yeah, herbs and veggies, the most unusual geraniums and the coolest sedums and succulents.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.