A Dietes????

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Wish I had a photo but I have already moved it. The blades are slender and striped. They tend to lay over and less than a foot long. The flower is small...I think less than an inch. White with blue...I can't remember if the blue is at base of the petals or where beards should be. If there are beards they are small or none at all. It has rhizomes. Those are yellowish, more so than the rhizomes of TB. The rhizomes are about 3/4" in diameter. If I remember correctly, the flowers do not have or have much of a stalk. I bought it quite a few years ago at either Lowes or Walmart in VA Beach. It had a couple of blooms then but hasn't bloomed since. I expect it was too cold here but maybe it will bloom at the other house where it stays a bit warmer.
I wish I could remember more, but it has just been too long since I have seen a bloom. I do believe it was labeled as an African iris.

Anyone have any ideas from this description such as it might be?
Thanks
deb

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 11:15 AM

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Nope! A Neomarica but I don't see one that has variegated leaves! I do know this is the genus though.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought a Fortnight Lily at Home Depot today. Also called African Iris or Dietes. It is in DG plant files under Fortnight Lily. I'm going to try in next to my Spuria in the sunny backyard. Seems to me that is what it is most nearly like. You might need to make sure it has full sun.
From the info in the plant files, I'd say it likes the hot climates and that it can be invasive. Ha! In my care, that'll be the day! :-))
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/572/
Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dietes (dy-AY-teez) (Info)
Species: iridioides (ir-id-ee-OY-deez) (Info

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Does yours have variegated leaves and lay over moreso than standing up?
?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.