what eats magnolia flower buds?!

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

something ate my magnolia tree's flower,the blooms started missing slowly within 2 weeks.i found pieces of flower buds below tree.what the heck would have done this,birds?there are no signs of bugs and now way a rabbit climbed up the branches.i bought this tree last year when it had blooms and i was waiting to see it blomm in the yard,guesse i'll have to wait till next spring :(

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Deer would be my first suspect if it's in a range that they could reach...otherwise no idea.

no deer here,just alot of rabbits and squirell

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Don't be so sure you don't have deer--they're just about everywhere. If you don't see them around and you don't get a lot of damage from them then you may not have as many as some people do, but I'm willing to bet there are some in your area somewhere.

i have seen turkey and deer but way down in the parks im in the city pop 66,000 everyone has fences including me.i had deer when i lived more out in the country.i am positive it wasnt deer.i think all the pitbulls around here would ward them away also.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, I still maintain it could be deer--if it was high enough off the ground that it couldn't be rabbits then deer would be my #1 suspect. They can be found in larger cities than yours, they can get over many types of fences, and dogs aren't the most effective deer deterrent (deer are most active at dawn/dusk when dogs aren't always outside/awake, plus if the dogs are contained behind a fence there'd be nothing stopping the deer from going in a yard a few houses down from the dogs even if the dogs are awake when the deer come by). I live in a highly populated area where everyone has fences and there are lots of dogs around and plenty of people still get stuff in their yard nibbled by the deer on occasion. All those things (high population, fences, etc) help keep them from being in your yard every single night eating tons and tons of your plants, but they can still occasionally find their way in. Not saying I'm 100% positive it was deer, but it sounds like them and I can't think of what else would do damage higher up like that and you still haven't mentioned anything that would 100% for sure prevent deer from getting in your yard occasionally.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.