Please help with my clematis WALL

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

OK, so I have 2 areas that I am moving some clems to or that I have bought clems for but I'm not sure which way to do this and need a little help, if you guys don't mind.

First area: is in front of the house where two iron trellises are located between 2 foundation bushes. I was PLANNING on putting Rebecca there with Bourbon b/c I thought that Bourbon actually had the wide red rim around the edge of the bloom but further investigation has shown that it is more likely just a dark pink with no red, so I don't think I want to group those together now. By the way, each trellis is about 3 feet wide by 6 feet tall.

Second area: A very large wooden fence that is about 10 feet tall and 17 or 18 feet long. I plan on putting lots of clematis all the way down that. The fence is actually the back side of my raised deck, so on the opposite side is up on the deck, therefore it would be great if the clems actually bloomed on both sides. The boards are staggered, some more to the front and some more to the back by a couple of inches, sort of woven together, so there is plenty of room for the clems to go around, if they want to (but not a requirement).

I haven't researched these at all, yet, but I was thinking that maybe in the front on the trellises, I would put Vienetta with something like Souvenir de Capitaine Thuilleaux or Cassis for a great contrast. I'm not even sure if they are the same group or not yet, but something like those together instead of the Rebecca and Bourbon.

Which means, Rebecca and Bourbon will need to be moved around the side to the fence. Along with them, I have Dr. Ruppel, H F Young, Snow Queen, Pink Champage, Marie Louise Jenson and one other mystery clem that I have never seen bloom but might be Fireworks. All of these need to be moved to this location, also. Let's see, that's 8 so far. Not enough or just right? I'm thinking I need something with color impact around there, I am definately a color impact person (no pastels for me, usually!)Some of these are rescues, so to speak, so that is why they are pastels. Also, I haven't looked at the heights yet, but these that I already have do need to go somewhere, so I thought if they were too short, then I could just add that one into one with a complimentary color that was taller.

I know this is a lot of detail, but any help, if you made it through reading all of this, would be great. I'll take opinions on anything: order and grouping on the fence, selection for the front, how many--anything! Thanks!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Photos of each area would be a huge help.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Two clems that are vigorous growers are Huldine and Galore. They will definitely spill over to the other side of the fence.

This is Galore on the backside of the fence

Thumbnail by venu209

Ooohh, that's beautiful, I love that. I like the color of Galore, too.

OK, here are the pics of this area. One of the trellises out front (please ignore the blue hose--it isn't staying) and two of the fence. Keep in mind, both of these beds are brand new, basically. The trellis bed 9 months old and the fence bed about 3 weeks old.

Here is the trellis area:

Thumbnail by funnthsun

I am either going to paint or stain the fence. I can't decide if I should contrast the color of the clem leaves or blend them by using the dark green to the left that you see on the shed.

Here is the first pic of the fence:

Thumbnail by funnthsun

Here is the second pic, an up-close pic so that you can see the gaps in the fence:

Thumbnail by funnthsun
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Looks like you have some fence repairs to make before you stain or paint. Love your two metal trellis. Is that a round planter in front of them? What is it made of? Red colored mulch..it that cypress or just colored red by manufacturer? My friend from Indiana told me that it is just about all they use in Indiana..Maybe she meant, all that she and her family use. Can't ask her which she mean because she passed away a year ago.

The round object in front of the trellises is a fountain, just not turned on in the pic. It's made of that stuff that I call "light concrete". Looks like concrete but it isn't heavy at all. Heavy enough, though, it still takes two of us to move this one. My husband did suggest that I should use it as a planter and not as a fountain (but I think that was just b/c he didn't want to crawl under the house to plug it in, LOL).

The mulch is red-dyed and it's my favorite, visually. It has to be replaced more often than brown, but worth it to me for the impact.

I have decided to place 8-10 clematises on the fence. I decided to leave Rebecca out front and moved Bourbon around to the fence. I put Marie Louise Jenson in Bourbon's place. We are going to cross our fingers and hope everyone is happy with their new homes. I'll post pics as we get some results!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.