Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

She is so beautiful!

Thumbnail by KayJones

Another shot - she is in full bloom today:

Thumbnail by KayJones

Beautiful!!! Mine is thru blooming!

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

It is so beautiful. But it is not "Minerva" All-of-a-sudden I perceive that its name "escaped my memory". I had had one specimen thereof, purchased as a potted bulb, to only perceive that it was already mosaic-infected, that this would become obvious when the leaves emerged. *SIGH* I depicted it elsewhere, applying the term "Dramatic contrasts" see landscape propagation forum.

Mobile, AL

I believe that Hans-Werner is correct. It is definitely not Minverva. Unless someone disagrees with me, I believe you can identify it as Gilmar. There are many pictures available on the internet.

Hans-Werner, I cannot believe that anything escapes your memory!!!

Ann

Minerva and Gilmar look identical to me, who knows not one from another - that's what is was labeled - Minerva.

Mobile, AL

Hi, Kay!

Take a look at the eye of the bloom. You will see a thicker line of dark red with Gilmar.

There are other differences, but I will not try to go into all of them.

You lucked out getting Gilmar that was labeled as Minerva. Minerva is much easier to come by...

Ann

Thanks, Ann - as usual, you are most helpful. When they come up and bloom again, I will change the label.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I would love to trade for one of those it you have extra! LMK

Teresa in KY

Teresa, I have lots of seeds for this one, but no extra bulbs.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

How long does it take to get to a bloom? 2 yrs? I work with dls from seed. It must be so cool to see them bloom in your garden instead of a pot :(

Teresa

I've never grown one from seed - mine are all naturalized in the landscape.

Mobile, AL

Teresa,

It is rare, but it does happen that they will bloom from seed in 2 years. Usually, it takes 3 or more years, depending on the variety and the environmental conditions (warmth, fertilizer, etc.). The cycle is about the same as daylilies.

What Kay is saying is that they are multiplying by offsets which is natural. Some varieties will offset more readily than others.

Trust me! It is worth the wait and the care.

Ann

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Is this one a 'Minerva' .....can anyone tell.
Thanks,
Sandra

Thumbnail by Sanandreyas70
Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

On first sight, it looks like "Minerva". But I think this is a more sophisticated hybrid even, namely "Megastar".

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Haweha,
Thank you...i compared the picture with Mega Star from Emaryllis and I think you are right!!
Thank you !!
Sandra :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.