a four-some for bridge

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Clematis Durandii, one of 5 groundcover Clematis that I tend to. I think this is their 3d year, maybe 4th , but they are doing better than ever. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Very pretty, xuling.

Now pls. tell me...what is a 'ground cover' clematis? can that be any clematic not trellised or are their special varieties that lend themselves to growing this way? Thanks. t.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

well I can't answer like an expert. but I remember that I searched for ground cover Clematis and found them at the Chalk Hill clematis nursery. can't remember the exact name, but they no longer sell retail (unless I go pick them up, which I could do since it is near by). An they called the Clematis 'ground cover'. but if there are plants where they are planted they will grow in and through the neighbor plants as well as on the ground. my memory says that some varieties do lent themselves to growing on the ground or through low bushes, but some experts may know better. xuling

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

thanks xuling. I'll have a look at the Chalk Hill site for more info.

Athens, PA

Any clematis can be used as a ground cover, however, I believe that Xuling is referring to the integrefolia clematis. These clems do not cling as they grow. My Durandii I have growing and tied through a bush, which works quite well.

I have several integrefolias that I allow to just sprawl through my garden. I think they really add another dimension to the garden. This picture is of Hakuri and she is sprawling on the ground through the garden. I really like her with Veronica Giles Van Hees.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

nice combo of colors Carolyn22. X

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice colors

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

The nursery and online store at Chalk Hill were closed in 2008 so they no longer sell plants. :-( The Mary Toomey Dedication Garden will be open for visitors Friday May 21, 2010 9am-3pm though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.