Need help with a tree issue

Port Hope, MI

I need advice please. I have a small ornamental crabapple tree I no longer want. I'm replacing it with arbor vitae this weekend. My neighbor wants the tree even though it isn't too healthy.However she'll be out of town from April 29 to May 9. How can I keep the tree alive until she returns? Thanks in advance for all advice!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Can you wait to plant the arborvitae until she gets back? I would think it would be fine in the pot until then. Otherwise, you could try digging up the crabapple and potting it, but I wouldn't count on it's survival. Remember that the Arborvitae is used to its pot.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

At nurseries they use burlap to wrap the rootball in. Do you have a big piece of burlap? If you do then after you dig it and get it out of the hole, wrap the rootball and tie it up with some twine. Keep in in a shady spot and keep the rootball moist by either putting it in a big box with some dirt or a big pot or maybe dig a hole somewhere else and let it rest in there. Give it a good drink.

Port Hope, MI

Thanks so much for the advise pj and loon. I have someone who can plant the arbor vitae this weekend, so I'll try to burlap it and keep it in the shade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.