EXCITEMENT ALERT!! Ready to COVER this wall in CLEMMIES!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

and I need some suggestions ... I know you guys know your stuff because I read all the time ... just don't post that much lol

This wall faces west so LOTS of sun!! Full sun begins about 11-11:30 in the morning. I hope to find something that doesn't fade with my southern heat & humidity. Hubby is being patriotic & wants red, whit & blue which is fine with me because I love them all. lol I prefer the large flowering that are early bloomers, then repeat during the season.

The wall is 10 x 8 & I already have the trellises mounted to the house with 2" wall dogs and metal brackets.
Here is some photos to help ....

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

On the other end of the house I have 'Magic Morning' climbing roses that reach about 8' or so. They are coming along nicely. My plan is to cover the house lol No, really I just like the height in the background and a sort of 'cottage' look I hope to achieve one day.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

On the other side I have 'Snow Queen' and I think 'Clair de Lune'. Tag was wrong on that one I believe.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

closer ...

also, I plan on adding my green farmer type wire to finish covering this wall. These 2 clemmies are rather happy there.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

just to add, my mailbox is fat & fab lol I love this one ... I think it is Ramona.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I have it circling the whole thing - hoping to cover it entirely one day to not receive bills lol

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Now back to the topic .... here is the overall pic. Nothing fancy, but it's my little place I really hope to have high color on the walls & make my neighbors jealous lol

omg, just realized I need to clean that roof! lol :O

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 4:06 PM

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Wanted to add ... there is no certain 'plan' to this yard at all. There is a mixture of everything. I have old english roses, antique roses, ground cover roses, climbing roses, lilies of several colors, azaleas, euphorbia, cone flowers, foxglove, horsetail grass, pink grass, fiber optic grass, large butterfly bush, salvia, lambs ear, iris, babies breath .... many more ... you get the picture lol I am not going for anything but color & full! lol

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 4:16 PM

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You can't go wrong with Pruning group 3's in the heat..but like all clematis they love for their roots to stay on the moist side...Jeanne

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

thanks Jeanne. I have tons of stuff to shade roots with ... that's not a problem for sure. I have several others so I know how all of that works, just not sure which ones would be ok in full southern sun & what would look good mixed together.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Cant wait for piks of covered wall.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here are some lovely clematises and nice combinations:

http://www.donahuesclematis.com/landscape.html

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

thanks Pirl for the link.
If anyone knows of a link of clematis that won't fade in the sun, can someone post it please?

Hendersonville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi neighbor!

I think you have the same clematis on your mailbox as I do on mine (actually, my daughter's now. She bought our old house). Is it H F Young? Mine never faded, nor did the poor thing ever get watered except by Mother Nature, 'cos we didn't have a hose that would reach that far. Set in direct sun all day and thrived growing up our wrought iron mailbox. She was about 3 yrs old though when I moved her there, so maybe that's why. Awww......I miss her. Your landscape is beautiful. Great job!

Thumbnail by StaceyTN
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Stacey..your clematis looks like my clematis "Proteus"..I've never seen a double on either of the two I have...Jeanne
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=617
I'm beginning to think that we Southerners are stuck with only singles...I bought the other Proteus in hopes that it would bloom double..but to my disappointment it has only given me the single form ;(...Jeanne

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

'Proteus' is a double for Zuzu in zone 8 in California. Here it's sometimes double.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Zuzu is so fortunate..How I envy her for having doubles on "Proteus"..I think some forms of the doubles are unstable and unfortunately my two are..boohoo

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Year after year...but I still love my "Proteus"..I might get 4 extra tepals sometimes but that is it..Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

the more I look at it..the more I think ..could it possibly be "Comtesse de Bouchard"?

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Hendersonville, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from JeanneTX :
Stacey..your clematis looks like my clematis "Proteus"..I've never seen a double on either of the two I have...Jeanne
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=617
I'm beginning to think that we Southerners are stuck with only singles...I bought the other Proteus in hopes that it would bloom double..but to my disappointment it has only given me the single form ;(...Jeanne

Wow Jeanne.....it does look like one of the "Proteus" pics. I've never knowingly purchased a Proteus, but I've often come home with mislabeled plants. Thanks for responding! Good to know what she really is. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.