Pieris Japonica isn't blooming. Please help.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

A couple of years ago I bought 2 dwarf and one small pieris japonica for a new raised shrub bed which I filled with tree and shrub soil. They were blooming when I planted them, but haven't bloomed since, though they appear to be healthy. I have them planted among dwarf and small rhododendrons and azaleas, most of which have bloomed. The bed is in part-shade, though gets quite a bit of sun until the trees leaf out. Any ideas as to why they haven't bloomed the past 2 seasons, and what I can do to get them to bloom in the future?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

It's normal for newly planted shrubs and trees not to flower for a few years while they're building up a new root system.

Resin

Thanks, Resin. That gives me some hope for future blooms. I thought I might have done something wrong, such as not fertilized properly or - ? - as I'm not very experienced with shrubs.

Perennially~ I planted my small pieris 3 years ago, mulched it with pine straw. I transplanted it to another site 2 years ago to avoid late pm shade. This is the very first year it bloomed! Yet it is still on the small size.

edited for silly spelling error!

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 1:21 PM

Thanks, garden6. Maybe mine will bloom next year then. Sure hope so.

I hope so, it's worth the wait!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

There's a bit of info here: http://hcs.osu.edu/pocketgardener/source/description/pi_onica.html
I believe they prefer an acidic soil - maybe sprinkling a very light layer of peat might slightly alter the ph. Just a thought.

Thanks, growin. I haven't tested the soil - maybe I ought to get a test kit, but they do seem very healthy with the exception of not flowering, and the rhodos/azaleas around them are happy and flowering, and I believe that they like acid soil as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.