Is a Heucherella a friend?

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Hola, I know absolutely nothing about the plants in this discussion group. But this little sucker has been growing poorly for two years, and disappeared into the soil during the winter. Then it came back and while the colors seem pale the plants are growing and the flower stalks are growing, so I am not complaining. The name tag says Heucherella 'Stoplight'. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

another pic of it

Thumbnail by xuling
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I think stoplight's supposed to look like that. I think it looks great. Check out these other pictures:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=heucherella+stoplight&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=JmrWS6OeGYHisQPp0PDCAg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCIQsAQwAw

My Tiarellas and Heucherellas all but disappear in winter and I worry for them, but once the spring rolls around again they look great.

Athens, PA

Mine did the same thing, so I would think it was supposed to do that. It also seemed to come back from one day to the next....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

thanks for the pics. mine does look similar to most of the pics.i thought it was pale, but i guess not. nice little plant. xuling

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

My neighbor always laughs at the new browner colors of Heucheras. She can't believe that people pay what they do for plants that, to her, look dead. :-)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I think 'Stoplight' looks fine. I have it, and a few others, and enjoy them.

At one time I'd have agreed about the brown look but now I love it. Who knows but some day I'll enjoy sauerkraut as much.

I really do know this is a sedum but it followed me home along with a few Heucheras recently and I hope they all play well together.

Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

xuling, it looks like you've got dahlias in the photo (if I'm right), so I'm guessing this heuchera is in full sunlight. Many people feel that strong sun fades the colors, and they could use some filtered light or some partial shade. Not everybody seems to agree on this, but it is a thought.

I think "stoplight" is supposed to change colors in the fall, but it may be a temperature thing, and might not apply to your zone.

When the plant gets larger, it is easy to divide crowns. Once separated, you can try them in different locations. Anyway, this guy looks like he could use another heuchera for company. Once you take a liking to them, you're hooked.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

xuling, I take that back. I looks more like monarda (bee balm) in the background. But the full sun thing doesn't change.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

try again cathy166!! the plant behind it is a fuschia. and the overhang which you cannot see is an olive tree. so it gets morning sun and afternoon shade. in the heat of the summer maybe too much sun. but this winter and spring has gone on and on with rain and cool weather, so this must be its regular color. xuling

Athens, PA

You need the browns to offset the other colors. See how nice the brown above looks with the peachy orangey color? Brown also sets off the chartreuse colors as well.....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Nice combinations. I wholeheartedly agree. Heucheras paired with the right plants really set them off!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Many of the heuchera really do play well together.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm hooked!

I planted my first Heuchera/Heucherella last Autumn. It's a Heucherella Stoplight I bought from Bluestone Perennials. I still don't know how it will look as it grows, but it's coming up fast & looks really healthy.

I'm ordering 4 more varieties this Spring & am also considering the new Sweet Tea Heucherella that just came out this year. I just found out they have it at a popular local nursery.

One thing I did discover last Autumn shortly after I planted my Stoplight - Deer find them really tasty so I've started spraying it with my trusty "Liquid Fence" and it seems to be working.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Sorry, xuling, around here fuschia is a house plant or put in hanging baskets due to our shorter summer. I need to broaden my horizons outside zone 6b!

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

all my fuschias kept growing into late fall. Outside!! je je je. Xuling

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.