Stop and smell the fragrances!

Sarasota, FL

Make sure your mAcrosoft scratch and sniff is installed!
Hiptage bengalensis. Scent of orange blossom and jasmine

Thumbnail by Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

Jasminum nudiflorum

Sarasota, FL

Trichilia havanensis-ylang-ylang and narcissus scent cross

Sarasota, FL

I believe this is Mr. Lincoln

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Kevin - you kill me every time you post your pretties...esp that first description!!!

Sarasota, FL

Folks that know me see I come from the heart. I hope my passion for sharing doesn't come across as a 'know it all' or 'see what I have and you don't'.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, if I can't grow them here at least I can drool over yours! I do admit to occasional "zone envy" LOL.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh Kevin, my friend...know one could ever think that of you esp. if they've been blessed enough to meet you. You're one of the most humble non-assuming folks I know...hugs!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I'm wanting to get some fragrant flowers blooming in my yard. I'm 7a but on plants that won't survive our winter, I put them in pots and bring them in the house in the winter. Do you have any seed/starts/plants that you have to trade?

Patti

Sarasota, FL

Crit-just send you a dmail.
Newest fragrances, some not mine.
Here's white ginger in a 3 gal pot in the backyard:

Sarasota, FL

An orchid from Selby Gardens.

Sarasota, FL

Another orchid from Selbys. This one has the fragrance of yellow champaca. It's a Maxillaria ringens.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Kevin - do you have a room to let? I just want to sit in your garden and breathe. :)

LOL @ setting and breathing!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I just got some babies from Wellspring Gardens! Allspice, Bay Rum, and Cinnamon... you wouldn't believe the delicious smell of the leaves! I am trying to envision sitting in my morning room when they have reached the size of my sweet bay... heavenly!

That sounds fantastic! I'd put those right by my bed. Aahh. :)

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Kalpavriksha, do you have goodies this late in the season? Nighttime temps in the 30's coming soon here. I'm in survival mode now. Can't decide whether I should move a zone north so I can have all those "heat tolerant only to zone 7" goodies or south one zone. lol.

Calling for freezing temps, right at 32, the next 2 nights here. I'm going to cover everything with blankets again, because temps are going to be back to the 50's at night this coming week. Don't want to bring things in the house until I HAVE too. I do bring in the really tender plants and tropicals, they are already in. I'm not ready to give up my summer yet!

Crit - I think it's too soon too! I can't use the garage yet - DH has decided he wants to do woodworking and guess where his shop is? :(

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Crit I found several plants on the Wellspring site I’ve been looking for that I can order after the cold snap has passed.

I seem to of lost one of my lists that I hadn't gotten on my Trade Tracker yet. Is there anyone that I owe or have promised plants to, or owe shipping or anything? I still have some purple wandering jew that is going to end up dying because I have no place to put it for the winter. I already have 2 hanging baskets and a planter full. It is rooted in one of my planters outside, and if no one wants it, I'm just going to let it freeze.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
I just got some babies from Wellspring Gardens! Allspice, Bay Rum, and Cinnamon...
isn't it just wonderful? When I opened the box with the Allspice, my saliva glands began to drool. When I show friends my plant collection I pick a small bottom leaf and crush it, then hand it to them to smell. I love their reaction!

Where the heck is Chantell? She would never have let this forum get so slow!

Fragrant ~ albiet a bit whiffy... lol

Thumbnail by podster
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Chantell responds TWO months later....with an apology!!! This working 2 jobs and not much down time (even at lunch) to check in during the week has left me with DG withdrawals...hugs to all...
Ohhhh who got Bay Rum? I ADORE that scent...hmmm, I should order another and maybe water it more while over wintering it...ya think?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

HI!!! How on earth do our plants ever survive our neglect? LOL

I keep seeing Kevin and Chantell on all the threads I am checking in on. :-) I love fragrant plants and flowers. Am trying to gather up as many as I can. I'm hoping DH will have time to start building the new beds I have in my minds eye. We moved here a year ago and the yard was a 'blank slate'. I started a few beds last year, and have more planned. Walking by a garden and getting a wonderful 'whiff' of something always brings a smile to my face.....especially when it is MY garden. :-)

Crit, I'm taking cuttings from some of my roses and they are ALL fragrants. Would those interest you? I know they'll grow in your zone!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, my Bay Rum might not be big enough for cuttings for a while yet, LOL. Do you have Allspice or Cinnamon? I'm equally excited about growing them... and I will take cuttings of all when they get bigger!

I had to go look at Wellspring. Their prices are extremely reasonable! Uh oh, I think I 'smell' another purchase coming up...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Just so you know, their plants are also quite small; I'd call them "starters,"... but I agree, I like their prices!

Oh Carey ..... that would be soooooo awesome!!!!! I would love it. Just let me know what you want for them and I will send it to you. Trades, buy, postage, etc.

Patti, just consider them a gift. I'm sure there'll be something I'll want from you in the future... :)

I have DA Evelyn (David Austin) and Spice (earthkind rose - low maintenance, or so they say) so far. DA Benjamin Britten has a few blooms so I'm holding off for now. I'll also take some from Nacogdoches and Belinda's Dream.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

For those wanting larger then starter and prices to match (although much more reasonable then Tops) Im happy to dig up the name of the vendor I've used and extremely pleased with in FL
Jill you're so sweet as always - can't wait to see you Sat!!!

This message was edited Feb 21, 2011 9:24 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, I'd be interested in knowing where to get larger plants at good prices!

Chantell, are you growing any of the "spice plants" I mentioned? Allspice? Cinnamon?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Chantell please share. TT is too far out of my price range on their shipping

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't see that they have anything listed currently...but there appears to have been recent sales. In the past I've messaged them when there's something I've wanted in particular. They've never over charged for shipping...and the plants I've rec'd have been 2' plus in height - all with great root systems on them. Here's the link to their ebay store (which is where I've communicated with them in the past) http://myworld.ebay.com/mda1515 They're are my "go to" for tropical fragrants.
The other awesome seller - I've bought from the last 3-4 years is this one http://shop.ebay.com/dogwooderitternet/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25 I've always been VERY happy with my purchases (read double digits through the years) from him.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have ordered from the second one. Ron is great!! I have added the first one to my saved sellers and will watch for something to become available. It is good to hear from someone who has actually bought from them. I used to be fairly afraid of ordering on e-bay but not so much now :o)

This message was edited Feb 23, 2011 8:04 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.