Trying to ID a Hawaiian Agave

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

This has me stumped big time. I've been trying to ID this giant for a number of years, and I've about given up. I've perused plantfiles and still can't quite put my finger on the ID of this beautiful plant.

I've got several photos, so I hope this helps with the ID. This is the huge Agave that grows along the Kalalau trial on Kaua`i. I'm sure it's common elsewhere in Hawai`i too, though I can't remember if I've seen it on the other islands.

Anyone have an idea of what this is? The seeds must number by the hundreds from the flower staff that rises out of the plant - I collected a few over the years and now have some of these guys getting quite big at home. I've been curious if they are hardy or not. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-John

Thumbnail by keonikale
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Flower Staff - not sure what the technical name is with Agave.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

They are huge, this provides some scale. Some of the largest Agave I've ever seen.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Another shot of the seeds on the rod.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Keaau, HI

It is Furcraea foetida. A relative of Agave from Central and northern South America.

It was introduced as a fiber producing plant to Hawai'i in the mid-1800's, and has naturalized in mesic to dry areas.
It is popular as a garden plant as it needs little care.

The inflorescence is called a flower spike.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

Now I know :) Looks like it might be hardy to zone 8a, so I could probably try one outdoors.

Thanks again,
John

Keaau, HI

E komo mai! You're very welcome!

It can handle sustained temps down to 50 degrees F. I have seen it handle frosts in Waimea / Kamuela at 3,000 ft. elev. with no damage.

Aloha, Dave

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Aloha gentlemen, John, I have several of the variegated furcraea foetidas, most are in pots that I kept in protected spots over the winter but I also have one in the ground which fried in the cold this year but it is coming back nicely. If you have several why don't you try one and see what happens.

Dave, I had no idea they got as large as the ones in John's photos. I suspect the variegated ones would me more restrained in their growth.

Keaau, HI

Hi Ardesia!

The reason those Furcraea in Keonikale's photos got so large is because of the climate in Hawai'i.

I grow both the plain & variegated ('Mediopicta') and they get the same size at maturity, and mature at the same speed.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Whoa, I'll be hoping the winter here keeps mine in check although a huge 'mediopicta' must be a sight to see.

Mahalo, alice

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

They are indeed a sight to behold... even the photos don't do them justice. Mahalo again, it's great to finally get this figured out, I'm going to try one of the three in the ground and see what happens. I collected a few new seeds last year too, hoping those will pop up any day now in their pots.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Wow, they are huge!! and beautiful!
isaac

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Well, a few of ours have flowered and we were lazy with the spikes. Know anyone who wants a couple THOUSAND babies???? FREE!!!!! They are all over the place!!! They make great borders around a large property....no one can get through!!!

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I actually would love to get a few more if it isn't too much trouble; I'll happily paying for shipping and/or inspection. I want to try a few in the ground but I'm too chicken to try one of my existing plants, especially because of where I got them. Carol, interestingly enough I think I got those in my 2008 trip to Kaua`i and the BI, the week before we met. Drop me a DMail if you wouldn't mind sending a few babies over my way.

-John

This message was edited May 5, 2010 10:07 AM

Laie, HI

Sisal

Keaau, HI

Not Sisal, Agave sisalana.

Definately Mauritius Hemp, Furcraea foetida.

The Furcraea is often confused with Sisal.

Laie, HI

I stand corrected. :0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.