Looking for a memory that's a mystery

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

When I was growing up my mom had a house plant that had round stems and very few leaves just on the ends of the stems. The stems grew amazingly fast. It would branch off and send new stems in other directions. It grew so fast! It had at the end of each stem a cluster of leaves bundled up like a very new sprig of dracaena. I know that's awfully vague. Does anyone have a clue what it might have been?

There were no leaves except right on the end of the branching stems and the stems were about 1/4 inch around. You could watch the stems grow day to day they grew so fast.

If it's like any plant I know of at all, I guess it's a bit like bamboo, but not stiff, much more pliable and tender. Branches off at a 45 degree angle from joints and growth can be measured almost daily. Leaves appear at the ends of the jointed shoots and any joint can send out a new stem, in any direction. I thought maybe a succulant or dracaena type, but can't find it there either.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes i had it once. it is a succulent perhaps? Or crown of thorns? You did not mention thorns. The plant you seek grows similar to 'Crown' but it is a different plant.
I know of plant you seek but do not know the name either.
I will look around. I will get back.
Knowing this group they will have the answer before i make another click!
LOL!
Smart gardeners here.
Julie

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

No thorns, mostly round stems with bamboo-like "joints" and the stems are generally succulent, not woody.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

WOO HOO! I FOUND it!
Callisia Fragrans!

This message was edited May 7, 2010 1:36 PM

Thumbnail by pjadams49417
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

congrats I'm so glade you found it I love memories
Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.