Wider than taller?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I bought my first JM and chose this one because I needed it to be wider than it is taller or as wide as is tall. It got me thinking what else out there has a more horizontal growth habit???
Have anything like that in your gardens?

Borrowed google pic of Tamuke Yama

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am planning a new extended property line border garden and am modifying a garden plan I found on bhg.com. They have a saybrook gold juniper in the center which is about 2' wider than tall, so putting it about 6' tall and 8' wide. I know junipers sometimes can get out of control, any recommendations?
Since this won't be close the house I'm doing a yellow and purple theme.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Jen, my Tamuk is about as tall as wide.

There are a number of conifers that are spreading, though they grow very slowly. Doublefile viburnum are much wider than tall, especially if you stay on top of the vertical suckers. Pee Wee oakleaf hydrangea fit that as well.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good tip on PeeWee I have 3 .This is the 3rd year. I didnt know about wider than tall.

When I see this thread title, I think of some people I know!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am built that way,be careful.

^_^

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

FlowerJen:
I planted some young Saybrook Junipers on a hill to control erosion about 6 years ago and they have gradually grown to about 4 ft tall and 5 ft wide (even though I planted them too close together). From the looks of the buds on the ends of the branches they very well might get bigger.

I also have some Microbiota decussata which are about the same age and are 12" tall and 2 feet wide now.

While I do not yet have any horizontal Jap.Maples, I hear there are several low-graft varieties no more than 3 ft tall which are wide-spreading like Komachi hime, Kiyo hime, Oto hime and Tama hime. (Hmm. I'm getting the itch just looking at their pictures!)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

can i hime in here?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yep after I thought about it, I may have to get another JM for the spot I'm thinking about. Uh oh!!!!

Go for a green one since you got Tamuk. How much sun/shade?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

6 hrs morning and then it gets more for a little in the late afternoon

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

get a viridis jm

Those are good conditions for most JM's.

Viridis has the shape you're looking for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.