Transplanting a small Willow tree- need advice

Halifax, NS(Zone 5a)

Hi
I need advice on how to transplant 6ft willow tree (weeping I think). It's well budded out at this point so if this isn't the best time too bad for the tree. I'm doing this for a friend who needs it moved regardless. Tree has been it present spot for 2ish years. I want to move it in a way to hopefully save it. I am aware of all the caveats re water seeking roots-septic/sewer issues and brittle wood as tree get larger and/or older.

The location in general has poor soil, rocky, and wet without great drainage. Can be augmented if advised.

Thanks in advance

lee

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Get as many roots as you can, and keep the soil ball as stable as possible. Dig a hole at least a foot wider all the way around, bigger than the ball you bring to it. Don't dig any deeper than the ball of soil you bring to it.

Willows are pretty tough old birds. It may act like it wants to die, but I bet in a moist enough spot it'll recover and continue to grow for you.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I second that advice.

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

when I plant a willow I cut off a branch and stick it in the ground. lotsa water. And when I transplant anything I give it a gallon of Miracle Grow Quickstart.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.