Tree ID please, Plum Cherry of some kind

Reidsville, NC(Zone 7a)

We have had this tree for several years and it is now producing fruit. I'd like to know if the fruit is edible. It has never produced fruit before and I have no idea what it is pollinating with (is that the right way to say that?) It is planted near Hawthorne Crab Apples, a Japanese Cherry and tulip magnolias. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Thumbnail by reece
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I took the liberty of pulling your picture off and lightened it up. Was your picture taken in the fall. The leaves appear to be bronze colored. The leaves look like a Cherry of some kind, but I don't know, the fruit looks awful big. You need to lighten up your picture, it's too dark for anyone to make an ID. Perhaps a picture of the bark would help also. I hope someone can help you.

Reidsville, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the reply pastime. I'm adding new photos. The pictures were taken today.

Thumbnail by reece
Reidsville, NC(Zone 7a)

The bark...

Thumbnail by reece
Reidsville, NC(Zone 7a)

The tree...

Thumbnail by reece
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Purple Plum - a purple-leaf cultivar of Prunus cerasifera. Several similar cultivars are sold.

The fruit is edible when ripe.

Resin

Reidsville, NC(Zone 7a)

Resin,
Thanks so much. Do you have any further knowledge of this tree? I'd love to know why it is producing fruit.

Thanks,
Reece

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.