Lilac Tree Sick?

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know why my Japanese Lilac Tree (at least that's what I think it is - got it at a yard sale) has developed a reddish color to it's leaves at the tips of branches? They seem droopy, too. Is it normal? I don't remember it being like that last summer when I planted it. Also, did I plant it too high? (See next pic.) I'm so afraid of planting too low which I know is wrong that I may have gone too far the other way!

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of the base of the plant. Maybe the upper leaves are struggling and red because I planted too high? Any help or ideas would be really appreciated!

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Was there a sharp freeze recently?

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I almost said "no", then went to NOAA's National Weather Service page for Chicago and - yes, the temp went down to 30 on 4/9. Maybe that caused it? I just started noticing it about a week or so ago, so . . . maybe that is it. Thank's!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'd say just keep your eye on it and see if it corrects itself, that is if it was a freeze. That's what it reminds me of but I could be wrong.

Paris Corners, WI(Zone 3b)

It does look high in the ground. I would add more soil around the base out about 2 feet or so to nicely cover the roots. Once that soil settles, you should be just right.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.