Is This 'Watermelon'?

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

I obtained this, or rather the mother plant of this particular plant, from a local nursery about a year ago and have kept it going from cuttings taken in the fall. From perusing catalogs it seems to most closely resemble the variety 'Watermelon'. Is this the correct designation? This plant has been grown with northern exposure only. I've been gardening for many years now, outdoors and indoors, but have not grown many coleuses. I expect that will change.

Thumbnail by atisch
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

NO. It looks like a Tricolor I have but dont quote me.
This is Watermelon

Thumbnail by ge1836
Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

This picture is from the Parks Seed Co. online catalog on a plant they call Coleus "Versa Watermelon":

http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/51146/

Thumbnail by atisch
Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Burpee's has a similar coleus simply named Coleus 'Watermelon', pictured here. I don't doubt that there are many names used for more than one variety, I would just like to know if my coleus is actually something else, and if so, what?

Thumbnail by atisch
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is Glory and Watermelon.
You have hit on my favorite coleus.
Sun or shade it cant be beat.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

duhhhh heres the pix

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge, love those colors!!!

This message was edited Apr 24, 2010 9:09 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Both Glory and Watermelon are great growers and perform well under stressful circumstances, like being planted outside too soon last year. Night temps on the low 40's side.I lost many because I wasnt patient.
Lesson learned.In spite of the early spring I wont put annuals out until Mem.Day.Week.

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

No one so far has addressed the main point to this forum. that is what is 'Watermelon' and who is to say which is correct when there are several sources that clearly call the plant I've posted Watermelon. pictured here is another commercial source, Nick's, that calls my plant C. 'Watermelon'.

Please stay on topic or else please start another forum.

Thumbnail by atisch
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just checked RosyDawn and they dont have Watermelon on their catalogue.
Try Gebhardts to see if they have Watermelon.
It would seem "Versa Watermelon" is an entirely different plant.
Too bad this wasnt made clear in the first couple of posts.

Stockholm, Sweden

This is a photo of the 'classic' Watermelon: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/151423/

I've had this one myself for many years. It is NOT the same plant as you're showing in your photo.

Your plant has several lookalikes, but it could very well be a NEW type of coleus, named 'Versa Watermelon'. I am not sure.

We should be thankful that the coleus growers named this new one slightly different from the classic one, since several coleus plants (and their owners :) are suffering from many misunderstandings when coming to their names.

I hope this was on-topic.
Alice

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Alice.My Watermelon starts out like that and the full sun brings out more reds.

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Alice is correct about the 'classic' Watermelon.
'Versa' Watermelon is a seed variety from PanAmerican Seed Co/Ball Seed/Burpee. It started out about 3 years ago as a stand alone variety but it is now part of the Versa mixture of 6 colors. They're supposed to grow in sun or shade and be slow to flower - a definite improvement for seed coleus. We haven't grown Versa Watermelon but we are growing Versa Lime this year. We've grown 'classic' Watermelon for several years and it's a good one.

Chris

Caesar

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the information that addresses my original post. However, that begs another question. Where can one obtain the "classic" C. 'Watermelon'?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Try Google or PlantScout.

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Gebharts list it, if you want mail order.
Not sure in the Bay Area. Annie's Annuals in Richmond has a few coleus but doesn't list WM. They might suggest a place with a bigger selection.

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you. I'll try that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.