So how does Glamazon compare?

Kansas City, MO

This is directly related to my other thread regarding Decadence and Hello It's Me. Anyone got experience with vigor and increase with Glamazon? How about Glamour Pants??

Thanks for input,

K

Bakersfield, CA

I have both, and I really love them. Glamazon seems really vigorous, and I've only had Glamour Pants for one year now but it's really looking good. Glamazon is just starting to bloom, and Glamour Pants is a little behind it. It's been raining for two days now, or else I would have a Glamazon shot for you. Oh well -- maybe next flower, as the storm is supposed to clear out by tonight. I got a second plant of Glamazon from Alex Stanton last summer, and it already had four increases on it when it arrived. Other Blyth irises I recommend are Adoree (incredible!), Eye For Style, Silk Run, Temple Spirit, Pirate Ahoy, and also a couple of the really strangely colored ones, Air Of Mystery and Stop Flirting. Decadence has been the most difficult for me over the years, so I just keep adding rhizomes. But I really love the Blyth irises and refuse to give up on the weaker ones, at least at this point. And I've just ordered second plants of Rarer Than Rubies and Truly Wicked, as I had both plants in bad spots and they aren't very happy; so I moved them both and am adding to them to see what I get next year.

Kansas City, MO

Thank you for the input. That's great info. I have Sweetly Sung and it just outdoes itself blooming with good vigor and increase. That same year '06 I got Stop Flirting and it looks like it will bloom for the first time this year. So, it has been a slow go on it. I also got Rarer Than Rubies in a trade last year and it put up so many babies I was shocked! I don't expect any blooms this year but several stalks next year. Temple of Time is doing consistantly well for me as well. I lost the first couple rhizomes I got of it, they were too small to make it through the Winter but then Keppel sent me a whopping healthy one it took off just fine. Louisa's Song does great. I am crazy about her. But Beautiful started showing off last year with full size blooms, they were wee little ones for a couple of years. It all has been a lesson for sure. Candy Clouds died over the Winter. I had gotten it last season. Drinks at Sunset did too, but a baby nodule has sprouted. Popstar made it through and so have the Terracotta Bays but they are too small this year to bloom. I think Coffee Traders are also too small to bloom this year and so is Thundermaker and Gaze. So, next year could be a real treat. I have eyed Adoree and I have studied the pictures to try to determine what color saturation is realistic. The color in the pix I have seen varies so much from ho-hum to wow!
It is good to hear you are so happy with it. The others you have mentioned, EFS,SR,TS,and PA and AOM have intrigued me but I haven't gotten them. As to Glamazon, it may be the best one to get from your description, compared to the others he has introduced that are in a similar coloration. I like increase and not worrying over vigor issues- like is it the soil, the zone, or is it some other problem, or just the normal way it is for that cultivar? That is the very thing that spurred me on to asking today.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

It is very helpful,

K

Bakersfield, CA

Here are a couple of pictures I took of my first flower of ADOREE, and the color really is as shown. It totally wow'd me when I saw it, and it just kept looking better and better with each day. I've also seen it on hotter days, and that does affect the texture (it looks more leathery and a little more faded). But overall I think it's incredible, and the flowers do seem to last longer than most others. If you're interested in purchasing ADOREE, Superstition has it for $29, compared with $45-$50 everywhere else.

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

And here's the second picture, the same flower the next morning, after an overnight rain.

Thumbnail by Betja
Kansas City, MO

How are its growth habits?? It looks gorgeous. Great pix.

Bakersfield, CA

I just ran outside and took a couple of pix of it. This first shows both ADOREE and GLAMAZON, and this is the last flower for ADOREE. I cut part of the stalk off when the top flowers finished, plus I had to stake it because we had really bad winds a couple of days ago, at the beginning of the storm, and the plant practically blew itself loose. So I put a stake up against it to bring its heel back down without tying it, and now it's fine, except it needs to be planted a little deeper now, I think. More mounding!

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

And here is a picture of the plant from overhead. I received it from Keith Keppel last July and it had no increases, and I potted it up for a couple of months, planted it in the ground in September, and now it has two increases. It did better than I thought, as it was not a really large rhizome like I usually get from him, but I certainly can't complain -- it has done really well for me so far.

Thumbnail by Betja
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

I can't get over the color combinations Keppel develops! They look like he just cuts the standards off one iris and glues it to the falls of another color. They are outstanding! And the ruffles are to die for. I wish we could afford every one of them. ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.