Suggestions & techniques for attaching, anyone?

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I made four cluster pots like this one, and two of them broke apart while I was glazing them. I think maybe the weight of the glaze and dampness that got into the bisque put too much stress on the joints. I used the usual score and slip method, and on one of them I used some special "attaching water".

I definitely want to attach them before they're fired, not glue them afterwards, so does anybody have any other good methods for attaching larger pieces together? I was thinking of drilling through the sides of both pots where I want to attach them, and putting a piece of wet clay in the hole (sort of like a dowel in a wood joint.) Don't know if that would work or not.

I have one still waiting to be glaze fired, and this one that came out OK. I really like these, and they're a lot of work, so it's a bummer to have them fall apart-----any hints would be much appreciated!!

This message was edited Apr 22, 2010 7:49 AM

Thumbnail by imapigeon
This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!