Tommyr can you hear me?

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Tommyr how about an update on your darlingtonia.Just wondering,Edge

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Edge! The 3 year old plant is doing well. The SEEDS that I planted have produced 2 plantlets I believe! And they seem to be doing o.k.! Time will tell. LOTS of time it looks like. SLOW growers from seed. My 3 year old plant has 2 NEW pitchers.

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Tommyr for your reply.I would love to try them.Seems like everyone says they are difficult.I knew if anyone could succeed it would be you.Care to share your secrets?Regards,Edge

No secrets so far and this is my first time with them. LOTS of info on the web on them.
They like cool water on their roots during the growing season. I will keep my 3 year old in a place that gets morning to noontime sun then bright shade after noontime. I'll keep a gallon of rainwater in the fridge to water it with.

We'll see how I do!

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Tommyr,I have been doing some research.What do you think of this idea.If you had them in a container.Put the container in some type of drip tray.I was thinking of using a very small pump (powerhead).Pump water into the roots to simulate a mountain stream.I would add a sealed frozen water bottle in the drip tray to keep the water cool.You could monitor the water temperature.Shoot for 50 degrees.Add more or less frozen water bottles as needed.Do you think that I am over thinking this?Would 50 degrees be an ideal temperature?Years ago I had many aquariums.Everything I ever read,said to try to simulate the fishes natural enviroment.I always tried to do this.I am thinking the same thing applies to plants.We are trying to succeed growing plants that are clearly not in their natural habitate.Seems like many people try these plants,but end in failure.I have looked at these plants for sale and they have very little root structure.Would removing the top growth improve this?I know you are fairly new with these plants.I respect your opinion.I have followed your tips and suggestions on other cps and it has paid off for me.So I am very interested on your thoughts on this thread.Thanks,Edge

Edge,
Others also use the drip method so it is a good idea. Not sure about water temp. but 40-50F. should be fine. I tend to be less anal about things so I'll just poor the cool water manually a few times a day. Glad I can help.

Here it is a few days ago:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

And just before I put it outside:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.