Mislabeled cultivar?

Winnetka, IL

I work in a nursery that just received a beautiful specimen that is tagges as A. p. 'Kinran'. I am doubtful, as the other 'Kinran', and my own in my garden, have green bark, whereas the one in question has very distinctly yellow bark, down to the graft. The only JM that I can find that says anything about bark color is a new cv. called 'Yellow Bird'. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be?
The pic doesn't do justice to the bright yellow of the bark.
We'll see how long I can resist buying it.....
Thanks!

Thumbnail by plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

This is my 'Kinran'

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

the leaf shape looks similar - color doesn't - wonder if it is just the conditions it was grown in?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

If I worked at a nursery I'd need to take a second job because I'm pretty sure I'd spend my entire paycheck at work.

I think you owe it to yourself to buy this one and watch it for a while to see if it ends up looking more like your 'Kinran' at home. Do it for the sake of science! ^_^

This message was edited Apr 21, 2010 8:35 AM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

me too!

and i concur!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yours is a Kinran at least as far as it's young leaf shows... Kinran is pretty distinctive for an expert .but form and leaf are necessary to definitively ID it and there are many that look similar when young.. Id'ing any tree at that stage ( and most any other stage for that matter) is a crap shoot at best... except for a few odd leafed ones like Shishigashira.... the other red nursery tree is definitely NOT Kinran thats 100% ... It is most often easy to definitively un-identify a JM than to Identify it.... Since you will likely never id the nursery tree it to any absolute certainty ...just call it "BUB" Davidsan

Winnetka, IL

Gardensox, the nursery IS my second job, specifically to help support my intense plant addiction!

myersphcf, I agree that it is easier to un-identify. I wouldn't have thought twice about it if it weren't for the bark. Perhaps A. p. 'Plantaholic' , tee hee.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Haha! Good for you plantaholic! Maybe I need to see about getting a second job . . .

Winnetka, IL

Well, I'm sorry to report that 'BUB' got sold right out from under my nose : ( I should have snapped it up immediately.
I got 'Purple Ghost' to console myself.......

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I never thought about working at the nursery as a second job to finance the plant habit--that's a wonderful idea! Of course if I spend a few days a week there looking at plants I might end up buying more than I do now and so I still wouldn't come out ahead! LOL

Winnetka, IL

I probably do buy more than before, but I think I still make up for it with my employee discount!

My coworkers offer to take my temperature if I leave work without plants ; )

Winnetka, IL

Update: we had another 'BUB' at the nursery, which is very happily situated in my garden. We've named it A. p. 'Non-ran' ; )

The leaves have faded to green, but with red margins, and the bark has faded to a greenish yellow. I'm thinking it might yellow up again in winter, as with a 'Sango Kaku' (I'm hoping so, at least!).

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I highly doubt the bark will color ( or keep it) it looks like a shirasawanum or a hybrid Shira/palmatum It likely has a bark color and the red leaf tips also from fertilizer too much or too little or some soil condition... Most shiras are not red there are a few Reddish like Ruby Red and Red Dawn...but they are red all over with a slight blush in summer ... not a bright red or red tip[s ..,. Yasemen is the only "quasy " shira that is a nice red all summer and some folks consider ti a Palmatum some a Shira. most of us in the biz actually feel it is a hybrid but classify it as a Shira. It has more of a shrira leaf form at least in the older leaves ..., ( yours is not a Yasemen )

Winnetka, IL

I hadn't even thought of it being a shirasawanum. Duh!

The leaves have greened out completely, with a second flush of growth that is red... but all on green petioles, which doesn't seem common, especially for shiras.... or is it?

Definitely not 'Yasemin'. I can discount 'Palmatifolium' and 'Lovett' off the bat, since I have both of those as well.

So, Acer shirasawanum 'Non-ran' : ) For the time being, at least.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

that is the color of new growth on a shira - looks just like mine does.

Dahlonega, GA

You guys are so good .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.