Awful Bird Pics Vol.14

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

In case you would like to go back and revisit the previous thread...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1083395/

Here on DG we have a thread for just about everything....including those bad bird photos.
Post here and share the pain & laughs with the rest of of us!

I got this lovely fuzzy photo of an Eastern Towhee...

This message was edited Apr 20, 2010 10:45 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Of course there is always the Unidentified Booty shot......

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

nanny, Isn't that the bird that sings "Drink Your TEEEEAAA"? We have Towhees too but haven't heard any yet. But I do wake up every morning to hear the Phoebes.......PHOEbee ~ PhoeBEE over and over and over again...lol.

Thanks for the new room.

Marlton, NJ

Thanks for the new thread nanny!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

OK, FOTV I'm all currious now, which bird is that would sing

Quoting:
Drink your TEEEEAA
? LOL. A titmouse?

I'm relatively new to bird watching. This time last year. I did learn a to differentiate b/w a male and a female housefinches. But when I saw this "dance" I thought it was a fledgling begging Papa for food. lol. As you can see a courtship dance of these two lovebirds? Then several weeks ago while outdoor, I saw the Tuft Titmice with the same behavior. Those birds are really a hoot to watch. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Nan for the new thread and more laughter. FOTV, the Pheobes' song is abundant here this time of year too, I love those little birds and their antics. I saw a new fledgling group last year, how they huddled together on tree top awating for the parents to bring them food. It was a wonderful experience to witness such happening.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful blur to start the new thread Nanny! At least you have lots of other lovely Towhee shots. I've never seen one myself.

Lily, cool courtship shot. Too bad the light wasn't in your favor. I think that was my problem too.

I have darkened this shot, reduced the highlight (whatever that is) and still this yellow flag iris just glows. The Orchard Oriole looks OK, but the glare from the flower is blinding. I had really hoped this shot would turn out. Anybody know a simple way to reduce flower glare while taking the photo?

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Quote from FruitOfTheVine :
nanny, Isn't that the bird that sings "Drink Your TEEEEAAA"? We have Towhees too but haven't heard any yet. But I do wake up every morning to hear the Phoebes.......PHOEbee ~ PhoeBEE over and over and over again...lol.

Thanks for the new room.

It sure is!! I just love walking in the morning and hearing them singing their song. The only thing better maybe is the Brown Thrasher's chatter!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Elph, all my photos with red is oversaturated like that. I suppose you can see if your camera has a saturation level (mine does), but I do my photos all with software.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2010 6:02 PM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I happen to think the towhees are saying "trick-or-treeeet:" I like phoebes except when they try to nest on the 3/4" wide ledge above my porch windows and smear mud all over the glass.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Mrs. Ed. You always know the tricks of the trade!

Phoebes, I promise...

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I recognized her outline! I see her, I see her!

Marlton, NJ

I see them too!

sunfarm, "trick-or-treeeet:" for Towhees works for me. I really like that and hope it won't be long before I hear them singing. The Phoebes have built their own Condo community under the eaves of my porch. I'll take a pic of them later. In the meantime, here's another shot of them in the Cherry tree, one looking on while it's mate took off.

I just had to point & shoot....LOL!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Just Ducky, nanny...LOL

More Phoebe antics. This one was perched so pretty only a second before I pressed the button.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Those phoebe pics are kinda cool!
Nice try on the duck Nanny.

I didn't crop this or anything b/c you just have to see how truly awful it is. I swear that there is a Meadowlark flying over those wildflowers. In fact, I can see the white patches on the tail! I just got too excited and pressed the button before it was done focusing, but by the time the camera finished focusing the bird would have disappeared into the field anyway.

I named this picture "delete."

Thumbnail by Elphaba

OOOOOOhhhhh......I think is see it!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL! Want to check your blurry flying bird vision? Here's the pic again with a sort of arrow. I don't know how to do the fancy stuff that Mrs. Ed and Resin do. The rest of you -- spoiler alert -- if you haven't found the bird yet, don't look.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Marlton, NJ

Oh that makes me feel better, thats where I thought it was. :-)

Me too :-) Lovely wildflowers by the way.

Whew..I was right too...gues we are used to looking at blurry photos! LOL

They are pretty flowers!

Sandusky, OH

this is a "feel awful" shot...all my other shots of this E. Phoebe were not as clear :(

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Wood Duck

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

umm Nat. Geo. would have said this shot was awful so here it is..lol

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Wood duck... right… almost missed it!

Elph, what kind of wildflowers are those?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This morning addition. Not sure what have we here?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Marlton, NJ

Nice ones guys! Ok, now I see the Wood Duck. :-)

Sorry Lily, I don't know. Hopefully someone else can help.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, that was my Eastern Phoebe Pelle. It was checking out its last year nest under the garage eave, 'til I was out there with the camera!

Did I see 2 Wood Ducks?

Yep...the wood duck shot is reeeally bad Burd! lol

Indigo Bunting hiding behind the dandelion in the lawn that really needs to be mowed! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from nanny_56 :

Indigo Bunting hiding behind the dandelion in the lawn that really needs to be mowed! lol

Ah, but those dandelion seedheads are excellent bird food . . . . so don't mow it!

Resin

We don't usually see IB's til June. Nice bad shot, nanny.

It is just a little bit earlier than normal for the IB and I usually see females first. The first week of May or so is more the norm here in my area.

I have seen lots of birds eating the seeds and with all the rain no mowing for several days to come!

Yesterday I spotted a scruffy-looking Goldfinch. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether it was a male or female. They're enjoyable to watch in Summer eating Niger seeds from sacks or picking at dandelion seed heads. Hubby surprised me several years ago and planted 1/2 acre in Sunflowers. Now that was a show both our neighbors and strangers stopped by to see. Anytime we went near the patch that Summer, the Goldfinches took off and reminded me of a yellow cloud. We had a break from last night's rain today but just noticed on the news storm warnings have been issued tonight a bit North of us.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

FOTV stay safe, a storm torn our Southeastern region pretty bad yesterday. I'm so grateful no one around here got hurt. Mississippi wasn't so fortunate. Sigh!

One of these days, I'll learn how to install a photoshop to lighten some of these otherwise good pic. Canadian Geese couple that converted to Southerners. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Lily_love, totally with you on being photoshop challenged. That's a pretty good picture though.

Burd, I see that wood duck clear as a bell. I feel your pain though. For me, the clearest shot is always the one where the bird has turned its head away.

Nanny, cool way to feed the birds. I have some really cool grass like things growing from fallen bird seed. Nothing has eaten them yet but they are cool.

Fruit, a 1/2 acre of sunflowers and a cloud of goldfinches that must have been spectacular! I counted 26 sunflowers growing in the backyard from fallen bird seed. Like Nanny, I'm not big on mowing! All but one are smaller than the kind you see in sunflower fields.

Mrs. Ed, there are lots of different kinds of wildflowers in the picture. The red ones are Indian Paintbrushes. Here's a pic of wildflowers near where I parked my car. Blue ones are blue bonnets. I have no idea what the yellow one is.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

oh man, just lovely!!!

Marlton, NJ

Wow those are so pretty Elphaba!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.