Murphy oil soap for iris borers

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

On Sunday I sprayed my irises with the Murphy oil soap mixture (9 parts water/1 part soap) for borers.
I don't know if I overdid it (I did get them plenty wet) but today many of the plants look like they have a
rust or something. picture attached.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Dee

Thumbnail by dmwade
Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Murphy oil soap won't do a thing for borers.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have that same thing on a leaf in my holding garden. Does anyone know what it is?

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

DaLoveRat have you tried the Murphy oil soap mixture?
Schreiner's Gardens from Oregon recommended it and I would hope they know Irises, but of course they don't get borers.
Do you have any other suggestions? I would rather not use harsh chemicals if at all possible.

Taylorsville, KY

If you want to get rid of the borers, you have to use chemicals. The larvae bore into the leaves, eat their way down to the rhizome, eat it up, then pupate and become moths, when they start all over. I don't know of ANYTHING you can apply or use to keep this from happening. I can't believe Schreiner's told you Murphy's Oil soap! Rat's right! I use Merit, by Bayer. It is the only thing on the market now I know that works.

Sue

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Scotts GrubEx contains the same active ingredient. Every spring before warm weather I trim back ALL overwintered fans and sprinkle a tablespoon or so over each clump (depending on its size) and water in. The active ingredient that you need is imidacloprid. It is banned in some localities. Once the borers have started to grow the only solution may be to dig, divide, bleach and replant -- and, of course, squash when necessary.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Not all Grub Ex contain imidacloprid check the label but that IS what you need, I use Merit the commercial grade which is not cheap like 56 dollars for 30 lbs.

Lebanon, OR

but if it works then it is great to save the iris RIGHT? I know that I would use it if I lived in borer country///

D

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Yep, ya gotta pay the piper.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

The "active ingredient" is listed on the bag.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.