How close can Clevelands be to my flower beds?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have flower beds, mostly daylilies and iris and I would like to put some Cleveland Pears in my yard. How far away should I keep them from the beds? I am worried about roots getting in the beds and ruining them. Not so much about the shade.
I had a silver maple, and it was ginormous and really ruined my front bed, the roots were so bad. We got rid of the tree, as I would have rather had my flowers.
Also my local nursery only has Bradfords, what is the difference in Bradford and Cleveland?
I would rather have a taller tree, not wide as much. I know neither actually get fruit. I have heard that Bradfords are branched differently than the Cleveland and have more of a tendency to break in storms.
I would like a shade tree that does not have invasive roots, but grows quickly.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Silver Maples are known for their nasty, invasive root system. I don't you'll have that problem with a flowering tree. I'd stay away from Bradford's. I don't know about Clevelands. I shot an email off to my daughter, who's a landscape designer, asking her what kind of Pear she uses in her designs. I know she uses ones that stay nice and aren't as messy as Bradford. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

I just made a new DL bed that is right next to my Guinevere crab. I didn't encounter any roots.

Diana

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Frilly, She already answered me. Here's what she said "I like Chanticleer Pear, or their is an Autumn Blaze Pear check it out. . ."

Hope this helps.

Diana

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Helps alot!
thanks so much!

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

We planted a Chanticleer six years ago at the end of one of our flower beds. It seems to be well-behaved, and is a beautiful tree. I have garden phlox, daylillies, and hardy plumbago around it. The surface roots appear to be fairly dense - i'm not able to dig a hole inside of the drip line. I can also vouch for the sturdiness of the branches. We had a freak early October snowstorm that broke a lot of big branches on other trees - maples in particular - but the Chanticleer emerged unscathed. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.