Organic fertilizers

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok, so weird started this thread a few days ago just realized it never posted.
Search function here is not working so can't locate any threads on this discussion.

Ok, I need something to kill the weeds in our backyard that is safe for the kids and the dog. I am being overrun with mouse eared chickweed. HELP!!!
Any suggestions????

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Check this site http://altnature.com/gallery/chickweed.htm .

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Would be nice to try if I didn't have a dog pooping and peeing in the backyard. ☺
Thanks anyway.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

That's an organic fertilizer!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well he needs to do more of it, cause it's not working...lol

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I tried a pet safe fertilizer a few years ago, and all it did is make them want to eat the grass and dirt (even more than they already do, which is a lot). I think a lot of the organic ones are chicken poop based, or something, which evidently smells pretty tasty to my dogs. They can't resist Holly-tone, either, when I try to feed the hydrangeas. So I just give up- it's just not worth the effort. (yes, the lawn looks terrible)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Think you meant organic weed-killer, not fertilizer??

Thanks Victor, I was not understanding this thread at all.

I actually tried an organic weed killer last year, too- not on the lawn, but just in various spots in the garden where I didn't want to use Round Up. Sure enough, it had such a strong smell (not a bad one, but very strong), that it was even more appealing to my dogs than something like Round-Up would have been. It also didn't work as well as Round-Up.

I've heard you can use vinegar to kill weeds, but it has to be a really strong vinegar. I tried the regular household/kitchen vinegar and it did not work.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

another reason not to have a dog - i visit friends dogs:)

You visit friends' weeds too, Bill.

Boiling water is worth a shot too.

Nah, give me the love of a dog over a weed free lawn, any day! They do make gardening a real challenge, though. Slug control for me is the biggest one. It would be a lot less work for me if I could just use the big gun slug bait with Methaldehyde...but I can't, because of the risk of my dogs eating it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ya, a weed and feed kinda like Scotts. I need to check reviews on Gardens Alive. I was going to try corn gluten but it's too late to apply this year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I thought you were supposed to put out a saucer of beer for slugs? They get drunk and fall in the saucer and drown (which is pretty violent IMPO) but it's supposed to work. I do not have slugs; but I do have beer. Flowerjen did you find something that would work on weeds?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2836
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2958

I see these 2, I need time to check reviews

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I wonder what the extra ingredient is in the 2nd one? Do they have to tell you what's in it flowerjen? I didn't see a list of ingredients.

Corn gluten is only for annual weeds - it suppresses seed germination. My multi-year experience with it is that it does not work very well.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So I should save my $ on the corn gluten, huh?

And I'll save my $ on the beer, since that doesn't work at all for the slugs and snails I have!

I looked at the website for a lawn care service here that is organic. Their protocol is corn gluten, compost tea, and vinegar based spot weed control. I bet they sneak some chemicals in there when no one is looking! ;)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just got a postcard for a local organic lawn care company, debating whether I should call them

Maybe call and see if you can get some references? Those places usually require contracts, don't they? If so, I would want some assurance that the corn gluten is gonna work! BTW, I know that would just make my dogs want to eat the grass and dirt, too.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I called our county extension office and mentioned about the chickweed, Master Gardener volunteer kinda chuckled and said"good luck with that, grab the kiddies and start pulling" Oh great!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Never a good sign when they chuckle.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Jen - I have this yearly too - out of control sometimes, as it comes in from the neighbour's. I have had success smothering it with horse manure, but it's not in an area that has visual importance. My dogs think horse 'biscuits' are the very tastiest treats. So I have to watch them or else they perform stealth maneuvers to get into the manure.
I have smothered other weeds with a thick blanket of bark or fresh grass clippings. The clippings are removed after they are no longer useful & it does buy me some time to complete all the weeding.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Boiling water does it well as Victor suggested, it even kills seeds. If I want to treat a larger area, such as a brick walk, I just set up the turkey fryer and cook away. Safer than a Dragon in my experience. Borax will get the job done in driveways and such, but leaching into adjoining areas can be an unsightly mess. Ric

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Ric - any ideas on dealing with an area that measures approximately 40' x 50'?

Napalm.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

oooo - drastic measures would allow the creeping ranunculus to take its place.
CR - a survivor, like cockroaches.

and whatever happened to April? Geez - it's almost May!
Gotta hustle up, here...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.