Thyme seeds + buttermilk for pathways?

Portland, OR

I have 3 stone pathways (with a lot of square footage) and would like to plant thyme between the stones. Someone recommended mixing the seeds with a 1/2 buttermilk and 1/2 water solution and then applying mixture to the area I'd like the thyme to grow. I know this technique is used for growing moss on rocks, but I've never heard of it being used for planting seeds on pathways. Does anyone have any experience with this method, or thoughts on how to be employ it? Thanks!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm like you - I had only heard of it for growing moss. Veddy interesting....

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I've heard powdered milk is good springled on any plants to help growth.. Milk might be good on plants also.
Vickie

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

I have grown thyme from seed.Never heard of the "milk method."I have heard about spraying milk on roses to prevent black spot.Favorite garden quote,"Never enough thyme in the garden".Edge

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL - boy, ain't that the truth....

Portland, OR

Well I'm going to give it a shot and report back...my husband is confident this will increase our popularity with the neighborhood feline population....

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm interested to hear about this as well, though I'm sure my neighbors would hate me if I tried this in the FL heat and humidity!

Saw this in Tinker's a couple weeks ago about using milk:

Got Mildew? Get Milk!

1 part Milk
9 parts Water

Researchers in South America discovered a new alternative to controlling powdery mildew. Wagner Bettiol, a scientist from Brazil, found that weekly sprays of milk controlled powdery mildew in zucchini just as effectively as synthetic fungicides such as fenarimol or benomyl. Not only was milk found to be effective at controlling the disease, it also acted as a foliar fertilizer, boosting the plant's immune system. In his experiments with zucchini plants, Bettiol found that a weekly spray of milk at a concentration of at least 10% (1 part milk to 9 parts water) significantly reduced the severity of powdery mildew infection on plants by 90%. While some gardeners may be tempted to increase the concentration of milk for more control, Bettiol found that once concentrations rose above 30%, an innocuous fungus began to grow on the plants. How does milk control powdery mildew?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.