Gardening 911 or E.R.

Williamsburg, OH(Zone 6b)

Someone stepped on my Sum and Substance hostas, as they were just starting to emerge.
they are up about 6" now and they look ragged.What should I do? Is there a garden 911 forum?
Anniemannie

Columbus, OH

Just keep them well-watered, not drowned, and let it get a chance to recover. Most of the time, they're fine. My dog likes to tramp on things, overwhelmingly they recover.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Annie, they will be fine. They may even do better than normal. I can't remember where I read it but there are people that do that on purpose. LOL

I cannot remember who posted it or where I read it either (Egads, am I getting old or is it the kids sucking out the last cells???). There was a lady who told her husband which bed to till and was not explicit enough. There were two beds side by side. One was full of dormant hosta and the other was empty. Guess which he tilled??? So........the good news is she had tons of tiny new hosta. The bad news-she no longer knew which was which...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

They may keep the ragged look through the Summer but should be OK healthwise.
We've had that happen
and had them machine gunned by hail to the point they looked like Swiss Cheese.
They just keep cranking.

Ric

Well that sounds refreshing,I have well meaning friends and family members who love to go thru the garden and wander off path,stepping on plants, pick up things and drop back on top of plants. I keep hearing this voice(FORGIVE THEM, FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO) Im not inviting them over for a dance on the garden. gonna have to rope it off. Thanks for the education.. hope to c u at the RU

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Two Words:

Stepping Stones or Shotgun Blast.... take your pick....lol!

Stepping stones didn't work.shotgun blast is not an option,BUT....maybe a low voltage shock. like the invisable fence.oh ya. I can hear the arching now.. zzzzzzzzzzaaaaapppppp. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Deer Blaster!
It hooks to your hose and a motion sensor sets it off. SPLAT!
We accidentally ran into one at a garden tour.....
They Work! lol!

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.