OK - to plant JM in total shade?

Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

I think I've read that JM do OK in total shade...but before I invested I wanted to hear from experienced folks.

I have a heavily wooded lot with tall, mature trees. I would like to plant some JM's in some of the bare areas...but they would get minimal sun.

Anyone else doing this..??..

Thanks...
Jann

Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

This is the wooded area.

Thumbnail by jannz2
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

most jm's will do good in shade - will you be planting in the grass area or in the woods?

Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm hoping to plant the JM's back in amongst the trees... there are some open spaces back in there. These areas do get a little sunlight -- but for the most part are shaded by the trees.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

You might not get some of the most vibrant colors that the JMs are known for in total shade but most should still grow and be happy in shade.

Most people advocate for morning sun and afternoon shade.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

there are some that need a lot of shade - you should check out davidsans japanese maples

Galien, MI

Being in Texas, more shade might be best for you. Up north, we need ours in a bit more sun. These are known for being understory trees.
The ones that typically do best in heavy shade are the variegated ones. I have one called (floating cloud) - can't remember the official name - that requires a lot of shade and it seems to be doing great. My fireglow - I put that in a spot that gets more sun, to bring out the red.

Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks beakerlj .... you're right to consider the HEAT that we get in our Texas summers -- ugh. I'm hoping to get a few of the dwarf JM...and I'd like to have the red and orange colors. I'll have to research which ones those are.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.