Is this "normal"??

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

hey guys, a few months ago I took a cutting of a giant burgundy (plant in background), and it looks just like "mom".
the foreground pic is one of 14 cuttings I tool off the same "mom" about 3 weeks ago--and all the top leaves are changing to a burnt orange/pinkish color...
the only thing thats changed in the time differences is that the weather has gotten warmer, with more daylight hours..
all watering, soil, light,ect. has been the same with all the plants
do these--do that??? I've got about 400 other coleus and they are all growing normally...thanks

Thumbnail by GOODGREEN

LOL, 47 views and no one knows. What is, is what is. Your plants have changed color on their decision, due to something or other in their life. A little more light, longer days, a different fertilizer, warmer nights, or a sprite with a magic wand.

I hope you have a place for the different colors!

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

could this be one of those " sport" things?
maybe I'm getting a "new" plant??

Maybe so. If you like it, cool. If you don't, uh, compost!

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

well, there's a little more to it than that---if its a new plant, it could be worth a LOT of money...

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Along with my sister's Beanie Babies...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You forgot pet rocks Sharon.

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

the guy who sold the rights to "alabama sunset" --which He developed, netted him over 50 grand...........

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I wonder how many years it took him to develop it. Probably years. But good for him.

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

all it takes is 1 sport that continues mutating for a couple cuttings and whooppeee!
could actually happen to anyone
thats why I get real interested anytime any of mine suddenly change color---most of the time its because of a change of seasons, water, soil , or temps, ect.

there's one coleus called "gold mine". Aptly named for some lucky person............

Alabama sunset dislikes the Caribbean, not a pretty color at all! It's red 'up north', no?

Thumbnail by
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The RD pictures show red. I have never grown it.
I wonder why its not red for you.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Maybe because she's in the Virgin Islands and it's hotter there. Heat does change colors.

Warmer, probably. the days are 85, nights 72. Perhaps the sugars, they make red, don't they? and yellow? I'm thinking fall colors of Sugar Maples. The sugars can't compete with the chlorophyl, the green growing part. Maybe because the coldest night here is 68 degrees. I have this plant only in the shade now, maybe I'll try again with a cutting in morning sun. And a bit in the back of the house that gets an hour of midday sun.

Coleus here, coleus there---- water water water!!!

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

heres some alabama and valtimort I'm trying this year--
I believe they like shade/high light

Thumbnail by GOODGREEN

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.