What do you use for...

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

planting in shady areas around hostas? I don't want anything especially tall or it will take away from the hostas that are already there. I have one solomon's seal and that's nice, but don't know what else to use? Is there a low-growing phlox for shade? Pachysandra? What suggestions do you have?

Thanks so much.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Arum makes a really nice companion since it'll be leafed out when the Hostas are dormant and vice-versa.

And here's a short list of other low-growing possibilities: Ferns, Astilbe, Caladiums, Impatiens (especially in a single color like white), Dicentra, Anemone, Heuchera, Tiarella, Pulmonaria, Helleborus, Brunnera.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

smilin
There is a creeping phlox, I have a bit in one of my shade beds. Also try coral bells, the clumps stay nice and compact but in late spring they send up nice sprays of color and florwes, pulmonarias are good as well as polemoniums. The polmoniums (jacob ladders) make nice ferny foliage and come in blues, whites, yellows, pinks, peach. I also have 3 different ornamental grasses, carex, that grow in the shade and have nice color. These are just a few, there are lots of great shade plants. You can see a pics of most of mine in my journal.

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Smiln - I have ground covers under my hostas = creeping sedum in 3 different colors and ajuga in 2 different colors. Another colorful groundcover is moneywort -- pretty chartreuse round leaves. I also have 2 different colors of heuchera (coral bells with the green leaves and red blooms and palace purple with the purple leaves and whitish blooms). Heuchera come in several different colors and leaf shapes and do very well in the shade.

These keep the shade garden colorful even without blooms.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Wow...you guys really know your gardening. Thanks so much. I have more ideas already than I know what to do with.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Pssst Smiln32 - I know what to do with these ideas: find pics of the plants we suggested, pick out your favorites, then post a "wanted" list :)

Heres' another one to consider: Persicaria (or Tovaria) "Painter's Palette" gets about 2 feet tall, has very interesting variegated leaves, and sends up very delicate sprays of crimson bead-like flowers in late fall. I just picked up one yesterday. Persicaria 'Red Dragon' is another good choice (I picked up one of those, too.) The genus can be invasive, but I *think* both of these are less aggressive than some of their cousins.

Right now is a great time to scout out the sales at the nurseries and gardening centers - they're clearing out perennials to make way for Fall and Christmas stuff; and really, now is a perfect time to plant a lot of perennials.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Don't forget coleus. Some of them look quite stunning next to a hosta and there are varieties in many different leaf shapes, colours and heights, so you can find the one that's just right for you. Of course, they double as house plants during the winter, and then you start a bunch of cuttings (super easy) very early in spring, so they're reading to set out when the frosts are finished.

La Porte, IN(Zone 5A)

Hepatica is a great plant too. The leaves are evergreen and in the spring, they have little flowers in pink, white, lavender and blue. This is one of my favorite plants and the dark green foilage is fantastic. The plants stay in place and don't get very large. No direct sun, but dappled light is okay.

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 3rd 9:46 PM

Those candelabra & hardy Emglish Primulas look great near hosta. & I like Cardinal Lobelia with the burgundy foliage near hostas, although they are quite tall, they are also very whispy, and add a note of drama, particularly if you also add some of those 'Purple Palace' or other maroon-leaves coral bells.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have started some sweet woodruff as a ground cover under and around my hostas. I also have many of the plants listed above in my shade/woodland garden.

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

There is a native spreading plant called Chrysogonum virginianum "Green and Gold" or "Goldenstar" that has lovely yellow flowers in the springtime and intermittently through the summer. It's low growing.

http://www.museum.appstate.edu/kimmem/greenandgold/pages/green5-5.html

Thought I had this hyperlink figured out, but I guess not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.