Morning Glories 2010 #03

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

To return to # 02 thread for this yr

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1077121

My blue Youjiro on the fence last summer

Thumbnail by patootie
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Jackie - Nice pink bloom at the end of the previous thread. I love the Youjiros! Your blue is very eye catching! Did you get some of your MG seeds sowed yet?

Becky, thanks. That was my setosa at the end of the last thread, from 2 yrs ago.
I have about 40 planted, most are up. Still trying to start more

szarvas, Hungary

This year I will have no less than 530 cultivars. Sometimes with only 1 plant and sometimes with 30 plants of the same cultivar. (Cultivars + Hybrids)
Now only on paper I decide where will go these cultivars. In large container (80 ), medium (120) or small (100) or in the garden and where in the garden.
Last year I had 15 feet of " fence " that were not very practical (the vines went in all directions). This year it will be replaced by a large number of supports. Each cultivar his own stake.( like KU )

Thumbnail by dany12

Dany - Oh my! 530 different cultivars??? You must have lots of help and plenty of land? That's quite an ambitious undertaking!

I do like how the Japanese Universities grow theirs. Most functional! I love the photo of all your seedlings! I look forward to seeing your vines and blooms over the season. I am sure that you have quite a few unusual and rare vines growing this year! it's always a pleasure to see what MG cultivars and species you are growing! Are you growing any of the Shidare/Sidare cultivars this year? (These are the I. nil cultivars that grow down instead of up best suited for hanging baskets.)

This message was edited Apr 18, 2010 12:20 AM

My significant other would have a royal cow if I tried to grow even half of 530 MGs on the deck LOL

Dany, droooling already just thinking about the beauties you will be growing and showing us this yr. lol Can hardly wait for the show to begin.

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

That Blue Youjiro is beautiful. I love those deep blue colors. I think
I'm going to plant some of the Morning Glory seedlings today. Should
be safe.

Dany 530! WOW. Are you going to plant all of those?

East Bridgewater, MA

"Only" 530?

That's dedication! You'll also have the prettiest garden in your area!

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

530!!! That's dedication! Impressive and can not wait to see photos. We want to see the whole garden with all 530! :)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I agree

szarvas, Hungary

LOL
I hope there will be the right place for everyone!
Becky, no Shidare this year.Perhaps it's a good cultivar to order in May at the University of Kyushu.But there will be : Blue Crystal, Benkei, Qempei etc. ...

Benkei

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

This week they sell hight quality seeds on Yahoo Japan, I try to participed on the auction .

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n81957923

Thumbnail by dany12

Thanks Linda. Being in zone 8, you should be fine

JacKie I planted several of your seeds. Can't wait to show you!

This message was edited Apr 18, 2010 11:49 AM

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

dany, did you win?

Dany - Nice color bloom on Benkei! I hope you win the auction!

Jackie - I have your Fuji no Sora cross growing, but no blooms yet. Will post a photo when it does. :-)

Debra, Eager to see your blooms. Hope all I sent you come true.
Becky, Looking forward to your blooms too, especially the cross. :-)

szarvas, Hungary

I missed all these auctions, everybody wanted those rare seeds.When there are several candidates for an item is almost impossible to win from outside of Japan.
Yet there was a very beautiful cultivar Black Dove patern - Dark Gray Purple.

Here another beautiful cultivar - original flowers and leaves variegated - dragonfly type.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

An idea!
I 'm looking for a free program of Watermark. Instead of putting a word like watermark it will be an image.
This gives an ideal photo editing to introduce a hybrid a cross.
What do you think of that?

The split-petal JMG you displayed in the last photograph is quite remarkable and desirable- did you win that one on Yahoo! JPN?

My JMGs I have growing in my cubicle at the office are flowering up nicely.

Here is what I saw described as "Flag of Japan" on Yahoo! Japan auction site. I grew it from seeds I got from Arlene last year or the year before. I think she wrote Oriheme on the packet.

If you look closely down the tube, you can see a ring of color, which is about at the bottom of the tube. I thought that was interesting to see.

Joseph

Thumbnail by

The other container I almost foolishly put 2 JMG seedlings, and both survived and now are making a lot of biomass on the small circular trellis. One plant makes a very fine blue with white tube flower such as seen below.

Thumbnail by

The other plant is making admirable blizzard flowers of varying degrees of expression of the blizzard gene. Some flowers are what you would expect to see of a blizzard JMG like this one.

Thumbnail by

And the other flower form that appears on the blizzard JMG is one that is a deep velvet blue with red/purple color around the tube, and having a picotee edge that is not white but almost a light blue.

Thumbnail by

those are reallynice, and I am glad to see you posting them.

Thanks, Debra. I am happy at how well they are doing here in the office. I wonder if my colleagues would mind me putting a plant or three in their window sills? LOL

I have no windows in my office.. but the building west of us that I manage is nothing but windows/... they have potted tropical plants in those windows with mini blinds that are just killing me.

Lovely blooms Joseph.

Thanks, Jackie, it is nice I don't have a mites problem at work and the leaves look normal here.

The fragile flowers of indoors-grown JMGs last well into the afternoon, which is a treat when I am in the office for the day.

Thumbnail by
East Bridgewater, MA

Lovely work environment!

A lot of people wouldn't mind that scenery!

Joseph, even the leaves are gorgeous, healthy and bug free You might take a mister bottle to work and spritz the lvs occasionally. That goes a long
way in keeping the bugs at bay.

Thanks, Jackie and BostonArea, much appreciated! Thanks also for the tip, Jackie, I will give it a try to keep the mites down.

Dany - I love the leaves on this one: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7726324 Did you have good luck and get seeds for this unusual cultivar?

Joseph - Nice indoor blooms! My vines seem to enjoy my sunny south indoor window shelf, too! Oriheme is a beauty and I loved it when I grew it! The blooms were quite large!

Here is a collage photo of some of my recent blooms. I've been really busy with work, building garden structures, repotting, and making benches, and also having quite a bit of company lately. So will post this collage photo. I uploaded individual photos on cubits. DG uploads are so slow ... :-(

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Thanks, Becky. Nice red speckled one in lower left corner.

All beauties Becky. I love the split petals.

Melbourne, FL

Those are all beautiful, Becky.

Gorgeous! WHAT CAN I SAY EXCEPT "YOU GUYS ROCK!"

Joseph - Thanks! The speckled bloom is actually purple, not red. I posted a larger photo on cubits and it is definitely purple in the photo. Not sure why it looks red in the collage. :-/

Jackie - Thank you! Yes! I am kinda liking the split petals, too! Kinda different that what I am used to seeing. I believe it is the humidity because the blooms inside aren't doing that. But who knows ...

Thanks also to gardenpom and Debra! Looks like the MGs season is off to a very good start! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.