The survivors prt II

Londerzeel, Belgium

As I promised, here are pictures and descriptions of surviving and fallen Coleus. Hope you'll like them :)

First picture is Sedona. I like this one the most because it has tiny purple hairs on the leaves which contrasts wonderfully with the orange color pattern.

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

This is Blairs Witch

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Chocolate Bear Paw. Not that healthy, but luckily we have still chocolate, teddy bears and I have paws ;)

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Freckles

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

I discovered this sport on Freckles. Believe it or not, but it's a three leaved one :) ;)

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Really great: the frilled one from a seed packet I got from California has survived the winter. That's good news because I have given away the remaining seeds ;)

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

India Frills

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Kiwi fern, not doing very good unfortunately...

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

OT- Hello, is going OT indeed...

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

A red sport from Peters Wonder... this could be fun if that one makes it to adulthood.

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Plum frost - being woried about the leaves which are curling down. Hope it's normal for this cultivar...

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Red Coat

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Rose Explosion (I think it is)

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Saturn - This one can be considered lost because it sported into a completely different one. Looking for a new planet now...

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Sparkler - not really sparkling if you ask me...

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

The Flume - looks like it has sported, but I'm not sure yet. Hope it's just because of the light intensity.

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Forgot to label this one... guess it doesn't matter anywayz.

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

Tilt a Whirl. Or Twist and Twirl? Or both? Hope so...

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

A few Coleus plants which didn't made it.
From the left to the right: Religious Radish, Black Dragon, Tabasco and Alabama Sunset. Tabasco is the one I'm missing the most because I liked its color ;(

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

The hardy Coleus substitute (Lamium) made it ofcourse. The cold admiring plant couldn't be happier after a winter like the last one ;)

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

The purple one if dancing and jumping of joy too :)

This message was edited Apr 16, 2010 10:20 PM

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

I'm replacing alot of dead Coleus by Heucheria now. They didn't showed even a single scratch after the long and hard freezes with snow last winter while their leaves can compete with the beautiful Coleus. This one is Peach

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

And this one is Stoplight

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

You did well this winter, congratulations.

Southern Maidenhair fern>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Gee, my Sedona looks completely different.

And I don't blame you a bit for switching plants. People think I have such green thumbs, but it's only because I keep the successes,

Thumbnail by
Londerzeel, Belgium

So weird, that color difference :s Maybe it has something to do with light intensity. Is your plant standing on a shady spot?
I have (or had) the same effect with Alabama Sunset which was completerly red when placed in sun. I wouldn't even be surprised if the red Peters Wonder (see above) is only because there's alot of sun getting to by batch of Coleus survivors.
I have placed all of them in full sun to kill the fungus on them because they're completely dampening off in the greenhouse while it's still freezing here at night.
Maybe the volcanic ashcloud from Iceland will affect my plants too, the whole garden and house was smelling like sulfur yesterday evening and this morning...

Few of my coleus can handle the sun here. Swiss Sunshine turns brown.

That Sedona gets a few hours of morning sun, in shade on the east side of the house. More sun, and wilt wilt wilt.

Alabama Sunset is ugly. Chartreuse new growth, with bleah mouldy brick red awful main color. In dappled shade. The dirt is a nicer color! I don't even have a photo! hahaha. Maybe I can try the brute in early morning sun again, I don't know... Odd place I live, hey?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

What little information available on 'wild' coleus seems to indicate they are from higher elevations in tropical areas....also known as 'the cool tropics'. 500 to 1000 meters seems to be their home. 65 at night and 85 during the day is perfect.

This no longer exists>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My sedonas are different too.

Londerzeel, Belgium

One of my Coleus that I considered dead came back to life again!
It must be a zombie Coleus and now it's haunting me :s

Cumulus, I'd name it Bunny, after the Easter Bunny.

Londerzeel, Belgium

It's the Alabama sunset that came back to life again. But in stead of Bunny I decided to name it Alabama SunRise :)

... and now the Religious Radish seems to have resurrected too! I would say: never throw away your Coleus plants, even when they look completely dead. It's just because I was to lazy to bring them to the garden container that I still have them :))

Nutley, NJ

I'd love to have a cutting of plumb frost, and will trade my coleus. Any takers?

Londerzeel, Belgium

I would love to swap cuttings from my plum frost but if I only could send them overseas to the States...
It will cost me hundreds of dollars to get the proper export rights and phytosanitary certificates for sending and receiving outside the European union while it would only cost me a stamp if you lived in Europe.
It's also the reason why I'm doing so much efforts to overwinter them, because Coleus plants are nearly impossible to replace in my country as garden centers have only one or two cultivars of them in the best case :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.