info please unusual tree/shrubs

Mount Vernon, OH

I am looking for unusual looking tree and shrubs, just names and if you know where to buy them online. I am redoing my landscape. The have to be dwarf varieties cause I do not have much room and I live in zone 5.
Thanks!

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

A little more detail would be helpful. Do you prefer conifers? Do you like things that flower? How much sun?

Mount Vernon, OH

Oops, it gets mostly sun all day except in the late afternoon. Sorry! I had some crimson pygmy barberry there. I dont have a preference on if it conifer, or flowers. I was looking at the walking stick but not sure if it would be too big when full grown. I need a focal point of the landscaping.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

Chamaecyparis pisifera has many cool varieties, and most are hardy in zone 5. How about 'Curly Tops', for example:
http://www.tinytreasuresnursery.com/Plant%20Pages/Cham%20p%20Curly%20Tops.htm
I would think you'd want something vertically oriented for a focal point, then mix in some other shapes. I like the walking stick also, but don't think it works well as a focal point, as the summer foliage is not that attractive. Mine is also loved by Japanese beetles, which I assume you have.

Gingko now comes in dwarf varieties, that would be unusual.

Juniperus chinensis has some interesting varieties, I'm looking at Tortulosa, but it may be too large for you. Bear in mind, though, that the growth of most things can be controlled with pruning.

These are just some ideas to get you strated.

Mount Vernon, OH

Thanks for starting me off with some names. I am going to look them up. I appreciate it!

I know regular variety shrubs well but the unusual not so well. I live on a well-driven street so I want something different than the others. lol. (though i like them) I don't want the weeping cherry, dogwoods, redbuds, etc...If anyone else knows names that I can use or put with the others I would appreciate it. I have no idea where to start. I tried googling unusual shrubs and trees with not much success.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a site you might look at for ideas--they have some more unusual stuff. You'll have to look at the size/hardiness before you buy anything of course but you may get some ideas. http://www.avantgardensne.com/

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I second granitegneiss's suggestions for a conifer collection.
They come in great variation of color, shape and texture.
They like full sun and are hardy. And low maintenance.
Consider a small mound of blue (picea pungens Montgomery).
Next to a narrow cone of gold (juniperus communis Gold Cone).
Next to a bright green dwarf pine (pinus densiflora Jane Kluis).
Then a ground hugging blue carpeting Juniper (j. horizontalis Wiltonii).
Intermixed w/ ground hugging golden juniper (j.h. Mother Lode).
A threadleaf green or golden chamaecyparis (c. pisifera filifera) would also be nice.
And a tight mound of bright green spruce (picea orientalis Bergmen's Gem).
A weeping Norway spruce would add a focal point.
There are a million others, of course, but these are just some names to get you started.
I'd suggest perusing a nursery web site which caters to conifers and brouse the varieties.
Or there are some great conifer garden books with beautiful photos.
It would look great.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Some conifers would be great, there are so many different varieties. A nice place for unusual stuff is Song Sparrow: www.songsparrow.com

I've ordered lots of nice stuff from them over the past two years. Plants arrive in great shape and I have not lost a single thing from them. They have a very broad range of plants from tree peonies, to Japanese Maples, to all sorts of conifers - almost all miniature and dwarf.

Elizabeth

Mount Vernon, OH

thanks everyone! It's a hard decision.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.