newbie to asiatics

Kansas City, MO

I have never grown asiatic lilies, but bought some bulbs today. They are lollypop, cote d'azur,and marseille and some trumpet regale. All have sprouted. I plan on planting them this weekend at the depth stated on the packages, is this the correct thing to do? Will they bloom this summer? I will be interplanting them with phlox paniculata and daylilies. Any special instructions.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Asiatics are the first to bloom and they will bloom if you plant the bulbs NOW. Plant them as soon as you can especially if they have sprouted. There's really no "special" instructions other than what is stated in the packaging.
Usually you plant asiatics at a depth of 4-6". Just be careful NOT to break the sprouts when covering them with soil. Just tap gently around the sprouts to compress the soil.

I also add and mix to the soil a handful of bonemeal and a tablespoon or two of bulb fertilizer, and peat moss for every hole I make (usually 3 bulbs per hole). Depending on your soil quality, you may mix some sand to improve drainage.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

How big are the sprouts? Leafed out or just a nub?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes plant now.They usually bloom late June but my first spring plantings of FataMorganas bloomed late July and Aug. They return to their schedual the next year.
I use "Bulb Boost" when putting in any bulbs.
Watch the sprouts as Tex said.

Kansas City, MO

The trumpet regale are starting to leaf out , the other ones are nubs. I have most of them planted and plan to finish tomorrow. I was very careful not to pack the ground too tightly so as to not injure the sprouts. I watered them in and added more dirt when the ground settled.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

You did good. Nubs are not unusual and easy to deal with. Its the taller sprouts that you have to be very careful of.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes careful with sprouts.
I was weeding with a hoe in the lilies.
Never do that again - - . I was too lazy to step in to get better controle of the hoe and just snipped off a 12 in shoot from 1 on my casablankas.
No bloom from thet plant this year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The bulbs with nubs can be planted at the regular depth. I prefer to plant the 'leafy' ones with the open part just above soil level. They will pull themselves down over time. I find it helps to give the stems a little protection (a few loose leaves) until they harden off.

Kansas City, MO

Thanks for all of your help

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have clay soil and never had experience with it.
Is that what has heaved my lilies?
Nearly everyone is sprouting out of a cone like a volcano.
Shouls I dig in the fall and reset?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The bulbs will reset themselves.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank heavens as its getting to be an athletic event to deal with a fully grown ligularia at that time of year.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That's just one of the problems of having to move lilies when perennials are full grown by that time of year. You could mark the plant and when all perennials have been cut back then you could replant it if you so desire.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There is a Fata Morgana in the DL garden that is 3 years old. I planted Purple Prince there last fall.One of the FM's is so far above ground the bulblets are showing ,looks like a cluster of grapes on top of the parent bulb.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

If it's just the little ones, I've plucked them out and replanted. Doesn't disturb a thing.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll do it

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mar, I just went out and took your advice. Thanks.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

:)

Maryland Heights, MO(Zone 6a)

I had a bulb that heaved, pushed it back in ground but nothing came up. The other lillies are about to bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.