Another rediculous 'high' on E-Bay

Spicer, MN

It's hard to believe that someone would bid $43.00+ for an Iris. Rainbow High has to be one of the top prices paid this year on e-bay. What's going on here? It is so puzzling.

South Hamilton, MA

lack of knowledge.

Lebanon, OR

was it Cathrine?

Spicer, MN

I see that Mid-America Gardens price is $35.00. They usually have the new higher price Iris.

Bakersfield, CA

Actually, Keith Keppel has it listed for $40.00 this year...

Lebanon, OR

It was NOT introduced until 2009! So that was not too high for a new intro.

D

Spicer, MN

It's good to know that some bids aren't that atrocious. When it's a proven quality gardener, as in this case, go for it. I just turned 70 and when purchasing anymore, I remind myself that it's 'chanchy' to wait for another year or more to see my Iris bloom. Perhaps that's what keeps one going. I only know I'm in for the long haul...God willing, and can't wait for this season to begin.

The way this Spring is going, it's almost 3 weeks sooner than average. I need to get up to MN and get my beds cleaned up. Last year the first Iris, Telepathy, bloomed May 21.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Husker-

My mother just turned 83 and wanted a gingko tree for Christmas. This week she's talking about putting in another iris bed. If you get new plants you'll just have to make up your mind to stick around until they're grown and flowering. Keep planting!!

Neil

South Hamilton, MA

It better be a male ginko---the girls can be rather smelly. If you grow median iris, you don't have to worry about staying around as long---plug, plug.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi IrisMA-

I read that about them. But the only sexed ones I could find were hundreds of dollars. I read that they take up to twenty years to mature and bloom. I figured by then it would be someone else's problem.... although people in my family live into their early hundreds, so I can just envision my mother making me cut it down when I'm in my eighties.....lol

Spicer, MN

Thank you Neil, You have a good point. I don't think there's a better way to enjoy life...the excitement and physical work
it takes to have a beautiful garden is 'soul food'.

South Hamilton, MA

yes, think of the exercise you will get.

Lewisburg, KY

Hi all...

I'm the ebay seller raggsnrichs. I've actually lurked around here for many years...it's a very informative site. I've noticed a few conversations come up about "some" of my listings/auctions that end up selling for high or even very high prices. What hasn't come up in these conversation though are the many newer varieties that I list that go for very low prices, compared to their values. I just found it "interesting" that part of the conversation didn't include the bargan prices that some of the plants were selling for as well. :-)

We're contemplating getting a web site together some day as many others have already. Many factors to consider but, we'll see.

In the meanwhile, the hope is that some of the highs of the sales help even out some of the lows and overall, with all the time involved and expense and, and, and...it's worth it still.

L

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Raggs-

As someone who used to sell on ebay, you're correct. It's a lot of work and often the few high prices don't make up for the fees for listing the ones that didn't sell, the almost 10% fee on the final selling price, the paypal fees, etc. Not to mention the people who don't read the ad and report you a week later for not shipping the iris yet when you clearly list a summer shipping date....lol.

It's not your job to tell people who get "bidding fever" to stop bidding the price up on something they want.

I think the main concern here is the one or two on ebay who are selling misnamed iris and copying other people's pictures to run the scam.

Neil

Lewisburg, KY

Hi Neil,

Yep, sounds like you've been there, done that alright with the ebay listings.

I've seen the conversations about the ebay sellers using photos to sell "any-ole-name" iris'. But a couple of times there were threads specifically about the "highs" of some of my listings as well as comments within other threads about it. And yes, that's how auctions go...sometimes folks battle over some of them. I just thought it was a very narrow view of my listings and made it seem like that's all that was happening...high ending bids. More often than the high ending bids are low ending bids...just thought it warranted mentioning as well.

:)

Spicer, MN

I truly apoligize! It wasn't fair to judge e-bay sellers in that way. I was being smart-alex because I thought I knew the best/quality
e-bay Iris sellers. This is a different season and I recognize the struggle of the different Gardeners. I wish them all well and value
each of the gardeners I purchase from.

Sharon

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

As someone who used to sell quite a bit on Ebay, it often surprises me what some people
will pay. It didn't take long before the phrase "It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"
rang true.

Among some of my interesting sales, a 'bottoms up cup' I found at a Goodwill store for a quarter,
which sold for over a hundred dollars.

You never know what drives a bidder. An Iris named "Rainbow High" could attract a number
of people for different reasons. It might even be part of a special memorial for someone's loved one.
In such a case, money is no object.

KY_IRIS_GAL, may your business continue to grow and thrive. :)
Best of luck for good auctions all the time.

Karen

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

That is so true. I won a Daylily this year "Hey Bud" on the LA and not because it was anything spectacular but because my dad's nichname was Bud and He passed away last year and I just want it to remember him. I did not luckily have to pay a bad price but I would have.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.