Delphinium in Tennessee

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

This is my first attempt at growing delphiniums. I have had trouble starting plants from seed. So my next attempt was to buy Delphinium x belladonna 'Bellamosum' plants in the fall and put them in a well prepared bed. Here you see the best example that weathered a harsh winter (harsh for the South, that is).

Thumbnail by Cibarius
(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

I managed to start some plants of Delphinium x elata 'Magic Fountain' from seed last year. Here is a photo of one that I set out last fall. This spring I found the same plant available at a local garden center in four inch pots for only $2.50 per plant. That will be my source in future years, especially if I have to replant.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Your delphiniums are certainly healthy looking. I never have any luck with them - snails and slugs love them.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

They look great. And 2.50 per plant is a deal! I was at a local nursery yesterday, and their delphiniums were $30 a piece! I could never pay that much money for one plant. I'd be scarfing up the $2.50 ones though if I were you.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Cibarius: What zone is Muphresboro Tn. ? I'm near Cape Gir. Mo and it's zone 6. I always thought Delphiniums would not grow here because it's too humid. I really like them. Do you have much humidity? Please keep us posted on how your Delphiniums do in late summer.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I love my delphs--I seem to have no problem growing them, whether in sandy loam in part shade (my current situation) or full sun in heavy clay (my previous house). I wish I knew what I was doing right, though, so I could offer some help to folks who have trouble. I've grown nothing but delphinium elatum 'Magic Fountains,' and they've grown wonderfully.

I've had very little luck starting delphs from seed. They like to be cold stratified, and then it takes them a long time to germinate, and conditions have to be just right. The ones I'm growing indoors now are just getting their first set of true leaves. I'll certainly keep trying to nurture them along, but I don't think I'll experiment with seed starting again. I've purchased all my delphs in 4" pots from local nurseries in the past and I'm very happy with how they turn out. If you want to avoid the hassle of seed starting I'd say you've found a great source at $2.50 per plant! :)

Summertown, TN(Zone 7a)

Cibarius, I'm certainly interested in how well your delphs do. I've always been under the impression that they don't do well in our zone due to our summer heat, so I've never attempted to grow them - I just admire photos of them growing away in other people's cottage gardens! Do keep us posted on their progress!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I winter sowed some delphinium seeds. Some didn't germinate, but lots did. Now I have to wait for them to get a bit bigger and decide where to put them. Butterfly blue did really well. I read that the seeds don't store well, so you need to have fresh seeds.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Here is one of my Delphiniums from last year- I have about a dozen.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

I would like too
If I'M not to late

Tubby

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Tubbytee, I don't understand your post- did you think my post was offering plants? If so, I'm sorry, but I was just stating that I have a dozen in the ground! sorry for any confusion!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Jo - those are beautiful! I have thought about adding them to my cottage style garden before. I may just have to do that now... I love the blue!

Richmond Hill, GA

Here are some I planted in the fall.

Thumbnail by cattjovi
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Am I likely to have success with planting Delphinium seeds? My plants are gorgeous in their 2nd year, and I would love to have more. I thought maybe if I plant some now and set them out in the fall, next year they might bloom- any opinions or help would be welcomed. I was a grower in a nursery years ago so I have basic knowledge of propogation- just not Delphs, as in the south where I lived for 40 years, they did not grow- too humid & hot!!! Here's an interesting stem on one of my plants-

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Cibarius, how are those delphiniums holding up in the heat? Still doing OK?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Jo, I think that's a good idea, they should bloom next year if started this year. I've started lots from seed, but am too far south for most to do anything. I don't think you'll have any problem though, I've read reports from others in your area who have them self seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.