Korean Dogwood Pruning Advice

Kinderhook, NY(Zone 5b)

We've had this tree for 8 years and it has been in it's current location for 6. As you can see, it's growing lopsided. In my ignorance 2 years ago, I thought a deer had eaten one side, and I pruned down the leaders on the other. Now I can see it continues to grow lopsided because of the circumference of the trunks.

I'd like a more evenly distributed tree. Any ideas for pruning?

Right now, I'm inclined to just leave it alone and see what happens. Thanks so much.

Thumbnail by sandstreet
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

That's a hard one to work with. My suggestion would be to leave the pruning for now, give it good slow release fertilizer, water extra in the summer and see if the tree corrects itself. I noticed the stunting is on the sunny side which might be from less water during dry summer. This is just a guess but at this point pruning might make it worse.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I may be totally wrong but if that tree were in my yard I would cut the entire right branch off. I couldn't stand to look at a lop-sided tree and I would take my chances. It certainly wouldn't kill it anyway. Not suggesting you take that as advice. I just had to say it.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Radical Pruning, by killdawabbit - there's an interesting symmetry to that.

sandstreet:

If you want to eventually achieve some semblance of balance to that plant, a good way to approach it is slowly. Each year, after bloom season, truncate part of the side that you perceive to be too large (out of balance). You can cut the terminal stems back to a fork in the branching. I'd start out methodically but conservatively, and learn how the plant responds to your actions.

As you gauge your success at achieving this balance, you will more confidently apply more modifications to the plant's structure. The plant will respond to reductions in shoot lengths by increasing growth on other parts of the plant. You hope it will be on the "short" or smaller side; the plant may have other ideas. The key is: don't try to achieve it all at once, lest you guess wrong and lose the whole Cornus kousa Enchilada™.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL

Kinderhook, NY(Zone 5b)

Well, the deed is done. I decided to take my chances, and I pruned it down. Thanks for the great advice. I especially had not realized the hot afternoon sun was stunting the left side, while the right side thrived with less heat. This spring I think we will move it -- and hope it recovers over the next few years. It's still very small for the 8 years we've had it, so obviously it doesn't like it's location.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

What do you mean by "pruned it down"?

Kinderhook, NY(Zone 5b)

I took part of the right side off, and some of the interior branches. I will try to post a picture tomorrow. Either we will move it, or I will plant fertilizer stakes on the weaker side, and hope that invigorates the weaker side.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.