Help! Is this iris mosaic virus!

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

I was strolling around the garden and came across this yellow striping on one of my SDB's. Is it the iris mosaic virus? Do I need to dig up all the clump and destroy? I am so heartbroken about this. I just had one season of bloom with them last year, and would hate to see them go. If I dig them all up, can I replant in that spot? I'm asking because I really love these guys but I'm running out of room.

Thumbnail by kentstar
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Kent that is what it appears to be from the photo. I would dig and destroy ( not in the compost pile). I would then treat the soil in that area and surrounding it a ways to make sure it does not spread. It should be ok to replace it this year. What is the name of it? It may be one easily gotten and at a good price.

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what I was afraid of! I have other ones nearby that, so do I dig up the whole clump and the one near it? What would I treat with? A bleach/water mix?
Yes, it is a Vavoom bought from Blue J Iris a couple years ago.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

If I were you I would check with Irisloverdee or PollyK . Hopefully they will read this as they and a few others could help you better than me. I will give one of them the heads up right now for you.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm reading it, but I don't know bearded iris, so I can't help. I think Dee will probably know. I'll ask her to come over.

Lebanon, OR

It looks like Mosaic virus from the picture and you will loose the whole plant if you do not want it to spread SORRY! Destroy the plant not compost it either as it will only spread. Now take 50-50 water and bleach and drench the whole area well. Dig the hole a little bigger than the plant. Let it sit for one or two years. I did mine for two years. Then dig some more dirt out and fill with great compost or soil. You should be safe then.

If there is no sign on surrounding plants do nothing except spray with 20% bleach-80% water and watch...

Hope this helps

Any time I can help you with bearded iris questions please ask, I will do my best to answer but on beardless Polly is the person to ask.

D

Kansas City, MO

Dee,

Re: Mosaic Virus bleach solution. I have wondered what bleach concentrations could be used and still be safe for iris. Often DGers mention a 10 to 1 ratio as a routine bath when transplanting or sending to others. So, you are saying even an 8 to 2 ratio is safe for the plants with no ill effects????
If so, this is very helpful to me. If I find any rot or suspect it is about to start on a fan I am using Clorox Cleanup spray and I am finding it works amazingly well. It is also stronger than a 10 to 1 but not as strong as a 8 to 2.The only thing I do not know is if it affects future blooms as I have not gone through a bloom cycle since starting to use it but the plants I have used it on are putting up new stalks as I type and last season after bloom when I started using it the plants appeared to progress as normal and thrive.

Please advise,

Katherine

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, what I did for better or worse (hopefully not worse lol), I dug out the whole clump, drenched the area with a 10/90 bleach to water solution. I sprayed for aphids (and I HATE to spray!) which carry the disease, and tossed the clump in the trash. I will keep a vigilante eye on the neighboring clump too for the next couple years. I'll have to watch any rogue rhizomes that pop up either this year or next for signs of the virus.
Just a thought, I have a Maria Stern rose that has rose mosaic virus, but she is located around the other side of the house, no where near the iris. I wonder if aphids could have spread it from the rose? Is it even the same virus? Just a thought...
Will my 10/90 solution do it or should I make a stronger solution of 20/80?

Thankyou all for the help!
I alsolutely hate losing any plant and especially to something like that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.