Oregano "Kent Beauty"

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I planted some "Kent Beauty"'s last spring from Wayside Gardens. I remember there were some people who wanted to know whether they came back this spring. They came back, and look great. Just wanted to let people know that they did survive our zone 6b winters in a raised bed.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Huh. That's weird. I lose them every year. Must be the water and not the temperatures. Congrats and thanks for the info!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Good to know pgt, it's on my list of 'wants.'

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Interesting - I thought it was tender in 6b, good to know!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I haven't had luck overwintering it here.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Scott (is that right?), Rick Lupp at Mt. Tahoma had several oreganos there last year and it seemed to me that they looked much like Kent Beauty. I didn't specifically ask him whether they were alpines and hence more cold hardy than Kent Beauty.

I'm headed down there to see the gardens on Friday (and buy a few plants, of course). I will try to remember to ask that question.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I agree it is a beauty and well worth having. I tried to overwinter mine in the garage failed attempt. My fault most likely I am just no good at checking things in Dec- Jan.

Last years plant

Thumbnail by gardengus

Did I read somewhere that these like cooler summers?

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

I haven't tried to overwinter here, but they are awesome! The smell from the foilage is wonderful and later in the summer the "whorls" turn a beautiful pink color. It's one of my favorites for a hanging basket.
Here's a pic of one of mine last summer...

Thumbnail by kentstar
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I have a hard time finding it here. None this year so far.
Think I will try the hanging basket next time . It will be easier to bring inside for winter.

Turning pink and flowering.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Okay, THAT makes me miss summer. It can't get here fast enough!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I have been wanting this one also, glad to hear that they overwintered in PA.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.