Fritillaria Forum

Stamford, CT

I have been trying to get my fritillaria persicas to bloom for four or five years now. Moved them three years ago to very well drained soil where I get plenty of beautiful foliage but no flowers. What am I doing wrong?

Stamford, CT

The dreaded red lily beetle is killing my frits! help! anyone know what else I can to do get these little buggers off my liliums? I have been employing the search and destroy method, squishing them by hand.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my crown imperials bloomed twice... nothing more after that... waiting to see if anyone knows.. I did read if they do not get the proper fertilizer they will bloom every other year... so far it hasn't happened

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

My F. persica finally bloomed last year. No reason why after years of sulking. I am hopeful. I have been spared the dreaded red lily beetle so far. I have great luck with many Fritillaria. Only F, Raddeana is in bloom at the moment. This was taken yesterday. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love it Patti!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

abbyday: read on:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1085702/

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Abby, it destroyed my fritillaria, and is now going after my lilies. (I'm in 06905) I'm going after it with pet sprays from the pet warehouse. I use stuff that is so bitter that animals won't eat it. (I have to use a mask when I spray, I REALLY is bitter.)

Also, some stuff I got from Designs by Lee that is a super deer repellant (comes in a pink container). You have to use is correctly or it will burn the leaves. However, it is partially oil based, so you doesn't wash off in the rain.

Unfortunately , I have a gazillion lilies in 5 different gardens, so I'm never finished spraying. (And it is a very small yars.)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont have any luck with Fritts/

Stamford, CT

Patti! That Fritt is gorgeous! So pretty.
Cathy, we are boycotting Designs by Lee after they cut down all the mature trees on their property and paved everything. Too bad as it is so convenient and the people that work there are nice.
I think I got the lily beetles under control after squishing them, and their eggs...and honestly not planting any more lilies. I assume that is how they arrived initially.
Happy Summer everyone!

Thumbnail by abbyday
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I tried a couple of times and gave up.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Gardener's Center has it also, as well as a few other places. They don't come with eggs attached. They just arrive.

I did not know about the trees. It used to be convenient to get certain things there, but since Gilberties is not so far, it is a much better deal.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Abby, I picked off and squished another one this a.m. You can control them best when they don't lay their eggs. I am certain the eggs are dormant and don't die over the winter.

In our little yard we have more than 100 lilies so it is tough to keep up.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - good luck, Cathy.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Cathy, I hear ya, must have close to that myself. I use a Bayer product and it works very well. I hate to resort to chemicals but it's that, or No Lilies!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.