Low-E glass and plants

Johns Island, SC

A couple of years ago we had the windows on the whole south-facing side of our house replaced with Low-E glass. Searched all over for data on what that would mean to the jillions of indoor plants we have along that south wall, but found no info. Not from the manufacturers, not from Dave's Garden, not from anywhere! Here's what we've found so far...
No difference in growth or health of the 37 African violets we have. We now leave them totally exposed to direct sunlight through the Low-E glass (used to have to lower translucent shades to protect them, or they'd burn up). No difference in growth of another jillion Philodendrum ranging from 10-30 feet in distance from those same windows. Leaves are still the same size at maturity, growth continues normally...(we do rotate them from spot to spot weekly). But they appear to be getting enough "light" through the Low -E windows.
This made me curious. All our indoor plants are "shade loving" species. How about I try growing a "sun lover" behind this E-Glass? You know I gotta try it! More later...

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

Please keep us updated about your low-e experiment. We are in the midst of building a home and Low-e is code here where I live. Our home should be completed within a few months so I am really curious about your experiences. Thanks!

Johns Island, SC

What truly amazes me, mytsic, is why I couldn't find ANY data about low-e glass, from ANY source---including Dave's Garden! Usually when I have a question 'bout sumpin', I can always find an answer on Dave's Garden. Not so, this time! Back to topic...ALL of the shade-lovers have continued to thrive...African Violets, Phlilodendren(various species) with 4-5 hours of direct sunlight: but so have the various sun-lovers...Brugmansia cuttings, Plumeria frangipani, Odontonema strictens...just a bunch of Shade stuff/sun lovers that don't normally "play well together' . Yet they all seem to love the "Low E" glass light so far...Weird in my experience. How do you successfully grow sun-cravers alongside shade-lovers in the same space?? But that's what it all about, isn''t it? Figuring it all out...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Hmmmmm Low E glass blocks the UV rays I believe but not visible light so maybe the UV rays are what really makes all the difference in whether plants can tolerate sun or not. That would mean the UV rays do nothing useful for the plant but are more a limiting factor.

Just a thought.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.